High Gravity BIAB sys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsant

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm planning on pulling the trigger on the High Gravity BIAB brewing system in November, and was wondering if anyone here at HomeBrewTalk has any experience with this system? High Gravity is just a few miles from where I live so I'll save on shipping. I know that Screwy Brewer has the bigger 220V system, but I have limited space and don't have 220V outlet in the kitchen. I'm putting a link to the system I'm going to get to let you all see what I'm looking at. Also for those that have a electric brew system do you have any problems with efficiency or with additions of DME or LME's?

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/store/pc/BIAB-Electric-Brewing-System-120V-269p4647.htm

Thanks John

You might post this question in the electric brewing forum. I have no first hand experience, but some folks have mentioned questionable materials of construction. Others have nothing but positive things to say.

I just bought this system myself and am waiting to get it in the mail. I have seen some people bang on it some here but I pulled the trigger anyway. I am not a DIY person. I want to spend my time brewing not building just not my thing. For me it was the most complete system I could find for the money.

I use a three burner top tier system with a buddy of mine but wanted something I could do myself in the comfort of my home.

Anyway didn't answer your question. I will post my thoughts when I get it. I am planning on running a batch or two through it next weekend.

Cheers

I don't have any experience with anything related to what you're asking about, but I happen to believe I have something interesting to say on any topic (cough), so just want you to question yourself on whether you want to brew in the kitchen. I really enjoy hanging out in the garage. Even when it is 90 F or 35 F, I would rather be there. YMMV.

Do you have 220 V in the garage? if not, then it doesn't matter.

Thanks Texaswine and rwinzing for speedy comeback. Didn't see the forum for electric systems but thanks. rwinzing have heard anything about the effiecncy or the adding of DME or LME's?

Just looked at your link. My own biased opinion is that there is no way I'd pay that kind of money for that system. For $650 I bought a system from Brau Supply with a 9 gallon, 2 x 1500 watt elements and a PID. It didn't come with any Blingman or Chugger, but I don't think those name brands are necessary.

I wouldn't mind a bigger kettle, but a simple sparge isn't difficult.

Thanks singletrack; don't have a garage to hang out in so kitchen is a must.

Yeah thank Texaswine I know that some may think its pricey but from my research I've done with what it comes with its worth it.

James from Basic Brewing has been talking a lot about Final Gravity's electric brew system. He was given one by them and has had nothing but nice things to say about them. James always replies to email. If you had a specific question, I'm sure he'd reply.
http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=contact

If I were starting from scratch, I would want an electric system. It would be nice to brew indoors in Indiana during the winter. But instead, I just brew 3 gallon batches on the stove top.

I'm on a $40 a week Hobby Fund budget. I call it my allowance :) ... Right now, I'm trying to invest my money in the cold side of brewing. I'm wanting stainless fermenters and a new keezer.

Thanks Jason; I saw the vid of Basic Brewing on this system. I'm not really starting out from scratch, I've brewed a few batches with my 20 quart kettle but its a pain in the behind doing a 5 gal. in that size kettle and yes I know a lot of people do it and like it, but I don't. I want a system that I can put on my island and if need have water on the stove if needed.
About the cost: I'm a disabled Vietnam vet retired Navy so for the last 40 some odd years my SWMBO has controlled my funds like a Loan Shark when I wanted anything. That stops in November, that SS Retirement is mine only mine.

Thanks Jason; I saw the vid of Basic Brewing on this system. I'm not really starting out from scratch, I've brewed a few batches with my 20 quart kettle but its a pain in the behind doing a 5 gal. in that size kettle and yes I know a lot of people do it and like it, but I don't. I want a system that I can put on my island and if need have water on the stove if needed.
About the cost: I'm a disabled Vietnam vet retired Navy so for the last 40 some odd years my SWMBO has controlled my funds like a Loan Shark when I wanted anything. That stops in November, that SS Retirement is mine only mine.

I saw that video too. They really did a great job describing the merits of the High Gravity system and how simple it is to brew with it. I'm a DIY'er and would probably build it myself, but it does seem to be reasonably complete and a nice electric system to brew on.

Back