High FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppypoppy

Reaction score
brewed a "New England" IPA and it's on day 12 in the fermenter. The target FG is 1.015. Below is a rough estimate of the recipe:

20% wheat malt
10% flaked oats
70% 2 row

The OG was 1.066 and I pitched a yeast slurry from my previous IPA using London 3. I pitched 100ml of slurry with a starter. The yeast was 20 days old. I used the shake periodically method with the starter. I tested the gravity on Monday 11/30 and then again today and got the same reading of 1.020. There is still some very minor air lock activity. I opened the fermenter last night to dry hop and didn't see any krausen though.

This was the first time mashing with a direct heat, as opposed to using my igloo cooler, and on one occasion I heated up the mash tun then checked the heat with a digital thermometer and it was like 162. I quickly turned off the the heat and stirred trying to reduce the heat. The mash temp did sit higher then I like around 154. My first thought is the heat has reduced the fermentability.

I usually aerate the wort with pure O2 but my canister was out so I did the shake and stir method.

The beer doesn't taste sweet but more dense, that could because of the wheat and oats or high chloride/sulfate ratio. I would love to get a few more points on my gravity.

Any options to get those few extra points? I don't want a dry beer but 1.020 seems bit too high. The gravity sample is tasty so I am hoping worst case is once the beer is carbonated is will help make the beer lighter on the palate.

I don't know if this is a yeast issue or a fermentability issue.

Sounds like it could be a fermentability issue, you could try adding some table sugar or dextrose to lower the fg some.

How long into the mash did it go to 162 degrees. Given the higher temperatures, if early, this may be as low as it will go. Adding sugar or dextrose may help.

I've been able to crank out a few more points by heating and rousing the carboy, then leaving it for about another week. Usually good for a few more points. You're at the point now where off flavours are less of an issue with a warm fermentation.

You could try adding a bit of a saison yeast. Ive started doing this with all of my double ipas to get them dry. That, and using 5-10% sugar in your grainbill

Back