High FG, what would you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubblemaker

Reaction score
My first all grain beer, made with my brand new rig is nearing completion, with one slight hitch, the final gravity has leveled off at 1.020. This is out of style for the robust porter it should be but more importantly the hydrometer sample tastes like the sweetness masks the roasted chocolate and hops that i was aiming for.

The post boil gravity was way high at 1.064 and i guess the wlp002 yeast just couldnt handle all the sugar.

I see two options, but im sure there are more:
1: Dilute with water. The post boil gravity was supposed to be lower than it was, 1.057 vs 1.064, so this would correct for that.
2: Pitch some high attenuation yeast and dry it out.

What would you do?

How long has it been? The upper limit on a RP is 1.015 so your not extremely off, have u tried re suspending the yeast (swirling/stiring)

What temps have you been fermenting at? You might give a slight swirl to rouse like Kuntz said. Also you might try moving it somewhere a little warmer and see if that gets the boys and girls moving. :rockin:

I wouldn't pitch more yeast yet.

How much crystal did you use? WLP002 has worked very well for me in the past, but one of the characteristics of the yeast is that it is lower attenuating. I find it does a bit better with a starter - did you use one?

Thanks for the suggestions.

The attenuation is currently ~67%, which in the range for this yeast, so I suspect that it has gone as far as it will. I did use a starter and got vigorous fermentation within 12 hr, the temps were very stable (65-68F) for the whole three weeks and I gave the bottle one or two vigorous swirls after the bubbling slowed. Overall the fermentation seems good.

The mash was problematic tho. Mash temps were a rollercoaster of 144 - 165F as I struggled with my technique and equipment on its maiden voyage. The grain bill had half pound each of crystal, munich and chocolate and 0.25 of cara pils in the grain bill.

Dilution with sterile water would bring the FG into style but would diluting the beer actually help, or just water down all the flavors?

I like the temp idea, maybe I could move the batch to a warmer area when I bottle and prime and hope?

Taste it a few times before doing anything drastic. If you water it down, you can't un-water it, and it could be a perfectly tasty porter as-is, or watering it down a bit might make it taste even better. I'd pull a pint or so and try some without altering it and try some with a known ratio of water (i.e. 1 part water 4 parts beer) and see what tastes better. Even if you're planning to enter it into a competition, if it tastes right that's more important than hitting every style requirement dead on.

Since your mash temps were all over the place, it's not surprising you're having attenuation issues. Swirl, warm it up, and give it some more time. If that doesn't work, just drink it. A few points probably aren't all that noticeable in the finished product anyway. Don't do anything drastic like water it down unless it's undrinkable.

1.020 isn't horrible for a RB.....just drink it man and quit sweating...you're giving me a panic attack with all this diluting beer talk.

Back