High FG Stuck High

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do with this stuck fermentation?

• Shake it

• Let it sit another week without shaking

• Rack onto strawberries and transfer sediment + yeast

• Do crazy research, find out yeast strain, pitch second packet

Results are only viewable after voting.

Damaso

Reaction score
So - I've let my chocolate stout sit awhile now - about a week past when the airlock ceased bubbling furiously. The FG hasnt budged a bit since 11/3, and i started the beer on 10/25.

OG - 1.080
FG - 1.040

I can't recall what yeast strain was used as my notes got a slosh of sin-dark wort.

I plan on racking into secondary on top of 3 lbs of strawberries. I already bought the strawberries and they are beginning to pick up a little mold - I want to use them sooner than later before they totally spoil.

Should I:

a. Shake it
b. Let it sit for another week w/o shaking
c. Rack onto strawberries while transferring sediment + yeast along with beer
d. Do some crazy research and figure out what used was used - then pick a new packet

Did you use a starter? Right now, I would vote for giving it a little swirl.

Moldy strawberries, yum.

You have provided so little detail it's hard to advise. Things like fermentation temps, AG/Extract/PM, ingredients, etc. Without knowing the temperature range of the yeast how can you tell where it should be, maybe the yeast are asleep or ?

I have to vote - figure out what you did before committing to something new

My apologies.

Well, this was an extract - no time or space for grains!

This was a kit that was purchased for me from thehomebrewery.com - the double chocolate stout kit. The ambient temp of home is roughly 68-70 deg.

Alas, I took the gravity again, just to be sure i marked it down properly...its around 1.020. I gave it a nice hearty swirl anyways. The beer tastes like a proper stout, however the mouthfeel is a little lacking. I'm thinking that along with the strawberries, I'll add in some lactose.

Latest posts

Back