High FG milk stout with WLP002?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxspencer

Reaction score
Brewed a milk stout last weekend. Malt bill was:
71% pale malt
9% caramunich
8% chocolate
5% flaked oats
3% black malt
3% roasted barley
1% lactose

mashed at 67-68C (153-154F) for 60 mins. OG was 1.071/1.072

pitched a two step starter of WLP002 with ~400 billion cells into 32 liters (8.5 gal) of wort, reasonably aerated by dumping into fermenter with 3 buckets of wort. It started off very strong, but stopped after about 48-52 hours. I measured the FG at ~1.027 a couple days ago on April 20th, then stirred up the conical carefully with my bottling wand hoping to get it a couple points lower after warming up to 21.5C (71F). It has not moved however. Beersmith was predicting 1.023 FG.

Here is my time vs temperature (green) and gravity (black) plot starting at the pitch through today. It has not moved since 4/19. Note the gravity is from my brewometer which is reading a little high both at OG (reading 1.083/actual 1.072) and current (reading 1.033/actual 1.027).

I'm planning on secondary in a carboy with some cocoa nibs for several weeks, then bottle conditioning. Does this look like it is done, or should I chase some last points by stirring it up better again? Or just move it to secondary already. Just afraid of making some bottle bombs later as I'm hoping to age in bottles for a year or more.

Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 3.16.33 PM.jpg

I bet it's done. 002 is known for lower attenuation and for working fast.

And for flocing out early. Had a similar issue with it on a FW double jack clone. Ended up putting amalyse enzyme and a small 05 starter in the keg. Dropped it a couple more points.

Back