High carb Hefe report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tangofoxtrot308

Reaction score
Read a post on here, shortly after I bottled my Hefe at a 4.0 carb level, about a guy saying the carb chart was way off for his wheat and it called for high levels of sugar. Most people told him to carb at around 2.5 anything else would be bombs. Well I'm one week in at 69-71 degrees carbed at 4 for hefes with no problems. I'm not saying they won't explode tonight just thought I'd keep you guys updated for future questions on hefe carbing.

2 Weeks everything looking good plan on drinking next Fri that'll be 3 weeks in bottle. I'll let ya know how it is.

Corn sugar 4.21oz for 2.5gl used Beersmith and 22oz glass bottles. Had a krausen ring for the first couple days then it dropped with a small yeast layer in the bottoms. Next week I'll crack one and see what happens!

3 Weeks in bottle and finally cracked a couple no explosion! Seemed just a little over carbed I'll probably go 3.5vl for hefes next time. I know commercial hefes aren't really high carbed anyway. But the point of this was to show you can safely carb hefes at the suggested 4.0 volume in glass bottles.

Back