High attenuation with Windsor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stretcheagle

Reaction score
Anyone else ever get high attenuation with Windsor? I chose Windsor on my last two batches specifically because it's supposed to be a moderate to low attenuator. Yet the IPA I did went from 1.068 to 1.012 (82% apparent attenuation) and the pumpkin ale I bottled last night went from 1.054 to 1.007 (87%). I was expecting attenuation somewhere in the upper-60's to mid-70's. What gives? The only thing I can think of is that these were both partial mashes, which I am still learning, so maybe both batches were just a lot more fermentable than I expected?

I'm not exactly complaining... This just means my beers are a little stronger than expected, but I am trying to figure out the causes so I can get better at having my beers turn out the way I plan them. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just used it and it came out with low attenuation og 1042 and gravity after a week was 1016 (I roused the yeast hoping to drop a couple more points) I've been using Nottingham solely for the last year and I love and know that one now I have to learn this one.

OP here. I can tell you now that I've had the IPA, there is a definite Belgian character to it that I didn't intend to create. I'm thinking these two things are related...

Fermentation temperatures ? High temperature can mean higher attenuation and an increase in phenolic character.

I fermented in a room that stays 70-71 degrees. I know that's high for windsor but it's the best I can do in my place. So I think that probably explains the phenolic character. But does that also explain the high attenuation?

Problem is, fermentation is exothermic. The yeast actually generate heat the more excited they get. So in 70F ambient, they're hitting like 76F in the center of the fermenter. Which makes them go even more crazy. Yeast go and have a regular ol' orgy at that kind of temp. Yeah, that'll drive up attenuation.

If you're in that kind of situation, a swamp cooler is the way to go. All you need is a plastic bin, an old T-shirt and a fan. Oh, and some water.

Latest posts

Back