Hibiscus Brewery Build...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzzzzzzzz

Reaction score
After 2 months of planning/study/and parts finding… I just started my build today! Sept 9th, 2013 will live forever in my mind one way or the other! I have now tested the burners they take just under hour & 1/2 pound propane to get boil...half that to get to 165 deg F. So after 35 years away from brewing, I’m back in the saddle.
I will be using 2 Husky rolling 5 drawer tool chests as my single tier base (HomeDepot $135ea)… so after 4 hours of cutting and grinding one is fitted with the burner unit, vented and ported to propane tank outside of cabinet. One chest will carry the HLT and one pump, another will carry the BrewKettle and the other pump. The Mash/Lauder tank will sit on a metal piece which will be temporarily connecting the 2chests. There will be plumbing will be in each chest with quick disconnects where they come out on the sides to allow whole set up to roll and transport anywhere quite easily. All the drawer fronts still in place so quite pretty! 1/2 the second drawer is useable but only opens ½ way. The top drawer is pretty useless but pretty! The pumps and plumbing will be in the 3rd drawer and supplies spares/tools can use the bottom two drawers.
The plumbing will have a main line in each chest “V” angling down to the pumps in each (slightly). This hopefully will assist the priming issues some. The system is based on BlackHeart Brewery design (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/automated-herms-system-132119/ ). All of the valves (solenoids will be inside the cabinets or attaching with quick disconnects to the back side of kettles and enter the chests asap. I will be using a HERMS recycle using the stainless steel ½” 50’ coils from an old jockey box I just bought. Also using both 50’ coils for wort chiller. Haven't decided whether to put coils in pots or just run sweet wort(HERMS)/boiled wort thru the jockey box as will have hot water left after mash in which I could put into Jockey box with an electric element I have from an old turkey fryer to maintain the temp??? ANY IDEAS?? Mathmatecal formulas as to which would work best? I’d kinda like to keep jockey box intact tho’. I will be connecting the HERMs to one coil end the two coils with a connector and then back to the pump to either mash or Boil kettle. To get back to jockey box only remove connector and replace spigots! The jockey box when not brewing will allow service of two additional beers as have a two corny kegerator and could reasonably have the additional two chilled and servable as well.
I will be building a Fermentor/Kegerator box as well since temps year round here in Hawaii are pretty high…winter gets down to 70 deg F at my house! Will be putting a collar around a large chest freezer with electronic cooling control so ferment temps ok when needed and COLD for service. A fermentor will be also built from a small fridge w/box hanging off front , so kegerator can be dedicated. I will eventually get to those, after system build is done. AND SOME BREWS DONE!
Just received my Greenlee Punches in the mail! Now can build my HLT and MLT w/ weldless fittings. The build of first ½ of the set went so well, I’m tempted to go buy the second tool chest, but think I will boil some water later to make sure no ventilation/heating issues being confined in the chest. I would also me nice if I wait until my first pump (March 815) arrives to pump boiling water to check usability of the solenoids I have chosen so the total can be bought. I hope to set up the solenoids to a swich for each setting..ie if valves 2, 3, 5, 9 all need open just flip switch #1. If valve 1, 3, 4, 11 need open swich #1 off and #2 on etc. Easy to sequence through each diff process. The pumps mounted slightly downhill from everything any liquid left from cavitating pumps at end of process will be pring for the next process. Everything after boiling keg is sterilized and inside a sealed system as I will be pumping directly to Cornys for fermentation and then to serving kegs from there!
I’ll post pictures as soon and I figure how to do it as at 66yrs old I’M NOT MUCH OF A TECHIE!
Aloha, Jim

Let's see if I got this right...off my phone to computer to this journal?
2 tool chests,
2 burners
1 brew kettle
9 corny pin lock kegs (will be using as sanitizing liquid), fermenter, storage/servers

BrewLog1.jpg

BrewLog2.jpg

BrewLog3.jpg

BrewLog4.jpg

jockey box w 2 - 50' coils
room that will become my man cave brewery currently filled with lots of parts and my office junk which will be moved OUT!
Testing of burners on 5 gallons of water went well, I guess? 1/2 hour to mash temp 1 hr to boiling +- a few.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< o >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
First cut into my nice new set up/brew rig!

BrewLog5.jpg

BrewLog6.jpg

BrewLog7.jpg

BrewLog8.jpg

Envy! Can't wait to see. But color me paranoid, but I'd block my home address there Jim. ;) Or i'll come visit after you've brewed a few batches. :D

Burner sitting next to cutout
drawers open with burner inside cutout
metal cut from 2 top drawers for burner clearance (2 hours with small dremel tool.. small cutting blades much neater, BIG reinforced for where not seen..wander lots easier!
Pic of the right side drawers removed (note vent clears the tracks which I made sure cleared as want BrewRig/drawer fronts to look nice).

BrewLog9.jpg

BrewLog10.jpg

BrewLog11.jpg

BrewLog12.jpg

This post is about BEAUTY! (no not me!)
Picture of my beauty as a baby!
Pictures of the view from my man cave/ Hibiscus Brewery
The hibiscus are all around in front and back yards. Did you know Hibiscus tea is GREAT for high blood pressure. Lowers it AND tastes really good. I will be brewing some Hibiscus beer as well as mango, Passion fruit, pineapple and banana stout. Get ready for spicy Ginger beer as well!

BrewLog13.jpg

BrewLog14.jpg

BrewLog15.jpg

BrewLog16.jpg

The pool is where an ex-jock old guy gets his exercise and it doesn't hurt as much... PLUS a beer is only a few steps away!
a Kegerator and one of 2 kegs and mini fridge all bought for $280, think I did ok as now have some of each part and will test to see if can take the heat etc. And the beer goes on!
All I got for now, next is test of burner in the cabinet. Hope that goes well the the purchase/modification of second cabinet (mirror image of 1st).
YAAAHHOOOOO!

BrewLog17.jpg

BrewLog18.jpg

Envy! Can't wait to see. But color me paranoid, but I'd block my home address there Jim. ;) Or i'll come visit after you've brewed a few batches. :D

Thanks, I corrected that. You are always welcome if in Hawaii put up a message here. I'm in Honolulu will have first brew day hopefully within a month... probably next week a BIAB to test sample solenoid valves and plumbing fittings on 1/2 the system with full boils times etc but only possibly full without the HLT and HERMS set up kinda 1/2 a system.

tried the burner and kettle in/on the brewRig. Ouch hot to the touch! the top 2 drawers and the top of the tool chest were about 170F ! Eggs with your brew day? ;-) So.. Added a 1/4" 1/4 round which I had and spaced the pot holding rim up and it made a huge diff about 45-50 degrees cooler. So think I will find something more permanent and then cut some vent holes in the back and side of box and will have to run propane hookup out the back as will now hit the drawer tracks. May take a few minutes longer to heat, but certainly no more than an open boil like my test was. The chest is about waist high on me (6'1") so mashin will be easy and could actually hang the mash tun down below that level quite easily between the chests. Thinking I will find some somewhat insulating material for the flat non cooking area, so a beer could sit for 30 seconds or so before being consumed. Here's the pics.
Oh yea, the hibiscus for blood pressure lowering tea.. maybe hibiscus beer will also lower your blood pressure? Worries will go and pressure will drop??? LOL
ALSO note the HUSKY logo dropped off as the top got waaay hot and the plastic just drooped and fell off! LOL

BrewLog20.jpg

BrewLog21.jpg

Found a place to get "kiln posts" little high temp spacers that ceramics people use. Little lady who is no longer in business and only about 5 blocks away, Gave them to me! Offered her some beer but she and her 92 year old husband don't drink. Oooppps!
Project came to a halt as awaiting some parts and pieces. The addition of ceramic spacers didn't hurt much except due to the drawer slide the gas line/linkage will have to go out the back of the chest. I was hoping to keep that clean but oh well. The wheeled cabinet is going to be really nice, it rolls quite well and says rated for 400 lbs! Guess tools are heavy! I think I will be running a complete dummy set up of all the plumbing etc outside the back of the cabinet to check design/flow/pumps etc. After it all flows right I will put it into the top 3 drawers, hopefully with quick disconnects so that disconnecting kettles and the two cabinets will leave a clean looking 2 tool chests. When not in use/brewing will sit in my man cave between my store bought 2 corny Kegerator and my fermentor/cold box (to be built). My jockey Box can sit where the mash tun would be sitting (between Brew Kettle and HLT between the two burners). That will allow me access to 4 beers without being done with the build! Also means my desk is relegated to ???? Only collects junk these days anyways1 LOL
well will be a few days, I'm thinking til parts get here. Aloha, Jim

BrewLog 22.jpg

FINALLY have more parts and pieces. Spent last week with Doctor appts etc and "spring " cleaning to get my space ready. SO... wends will be a build and test day.
Will have bought a side by side fridge for $100 to use as fermentor and freezer as pretty warm year round here in Hawaii. As soon as that is in place, I will brew a small batch of ale from extract to get some brew going!
The next for me on build is to test/compare my new March 815 pump to a smallish Iwaki 15 pump. I have tested the Iwaki for an hour pumping and volume is more than adequate, but gets a bit warm. It is a 100Volt Japanese voltage... ANYBODY know if this will be a problem?
If all goes well I will be buying and modifying the second tool chest and then first brew session should be first week of October! This build isn't nearly as awesome as some on here but will be better looking and could actually reside in the house. And at 66years old anything can be a big fun thing! LOL and I like beer!
Aloha, Jim ;)

Well I scored a nice perfect sized side by side refer. pretty clean works fine and freeze will fit 2 cornies stacked w/blow offs for lagering? and 8 cornies in refer side stacked for service or fermenting! $100 (in Hawaii that's theft!). also picture of 1/2 my brew rig in it's home. The orange bucket is where other 1/2 will sit. Looks fine in my man cave as furniture. Note Jagermeister cooler to the right (found on roadside). Can be used for whatever beverage needs cooling. Works fine looks good in old guy man cave!
Should be picking up the other 1/2 of my brew rig today from home depot so I can start on that. Will be same as 1st cabinet except mirror image. OH by the way... for some reason adding the ceramic spacers made the burners work even better than when just outside on the floor in my kitchen???? Must have some convection deal going on. NICE! Also cabinet top only gets to 100 deg F.

This is what the corner of my "Man Cave" looks like... door leads from "MY" covered back patio to the living room. The rest of the room is a mess with parts and pieces and change of mind and lots of beer bottles... will bottle a few of each brew for travel to club meetings etc (MAYBE!) LOL

BrewLog26.jpg

All kettles punched for sight gauges and temp and ball valves as needed. Just awaiting proper ball valves vendor sent wrong ones! Grrrrr. Also the pumps will be in th drawer and 3rd will house the plumbing. I will use QBs (quick disconnects) on any long lines (verticals) and will have jumper lengths so any pump can be used as the backup for any other pump should one die unexpectedly. Change over take a couple of minutes.
Was hoping to brew first this Saturday, but the wrong valves crushed that Idea. Now slated for next Saturday with 2 friends coming to watch/help/run to the hardware store etc (and bring store bought beer!). Then after fermentation will force carb in corny kegs and when ready have a crack the keg party with same guys plus more (just did roof and solar all the guys!). Nice being an old guy with friends!
That's latest from here will show with plumbing done and then on brew weekend. Will likely move rig from patio to carport just in case of spills breaks etc. (nice part of the tool chest having wheels/being strongly built and light!)

Without the kettles it is actually bottom heavy as I have the pumps in drawer 4 and tools/parts in drawer 5. Drawer 3 is not used due to top heaviness AND to keep the heat from burners above the 3rd drawer. Drawers 1 & 2 left open a bit for air, and it seems must add some convection or ??? as boils faster than just the burners w/stand in my kitchen floor??? 27"x18" base is pretty helpful as well. Even with the pumps and cabinets can be wrestled down (up would not be possible!) stairs by 66 year old me. I wont be doing that as have two young brew mates coming to carry down (and up again) to the carport/garage area. Once tested and I figure out where wet spots are etc, will brew on my patio (no stairs to contend with) but I don't want sticky stuff there.
It isn't as nice as I would have liked but will be functional and can store anywhere even indoors without being an eye sore. original thought was brewing looking just like a tool chest with pots on top. Plumbing and solenoids etc to make it mostly automated etc. The enclosed area Heat and my lack of electronics expertise wipe all that off the slate. I'll probably use for a year then if still liking to brew buy someone automated build or Sabco set up. The fermentor/jockey box/keggerators all fit big kegs or cornies so got some stuff that will carry on.
Getting parts and brew materials in Hawaii is quite difficult and expensive when found. SS is needed due to the salty/moist air as well another expense.
I love good beer and commercial stuff sucks so I rarely have one. I have a friend from high school who is a longtime master here in Hawaii and love his beers so since he live $250 away I decided to make my own.
Wish me good brewing,
Jim

WELL....ta da... she's done! I'll post pictures later of the "unbeautified" version (parts unpainted. Waaay simple once parts got here..of course I ordered a lot of stuff I didn't need too...ooops! I tested all of the parts individually and all working fine. The whole project could have been done in 2 days if all was ready to go!
I'll post pictures later after doctors appointment. I will be testing the whole process without using grains, today and brewing tomorrow! Yaaay!!!! The cooling system through the jockey box cools the wort down in about 20 minutes! I'm guessing the whole process using times from my tests will take about 3.5 hours to fermenter keg! I will time it today. Had some problems with my fermenter refridgerator... it decided to work again! I bought one that was only getting "kinda" cold and was perfect. Freezer now freezing and refer too cold will have that fixed today also as have a temp and relay already! Yaaaay for that.
I'll be back in a few hours

here's pics
Just about to start my final run through testing all systems together.
Note: the two propane tanks to right and left rear are fed through cabinet sides to the burners and the air control and breathing also opened to the rear for better air flow. Some convection or something must be working as faster than burner tests in my patio floor. Remarkably cool inside the cabinet for same reason???
Also Note the keg between the two carts. The system allows for direct pumping into the keg after cooling through the jockey box double coil which is jumpered to connect both and easily connected back for serving.
Note: there is no hard connection between the two carts making this setup incredibly portable. One person can easily roll it into a truck or to the back yard and be brewing in a short period of time. Using current hoses and hose clamps it takes about 15-20 minutes to connect all 10 lines and move to the driveway/patio/back porch etc. for brewing. I will be putting QDs on most lines, but ordered all barbed male and females (ooops) I want females to be screwed direct to valves/Ts etc and males barbed to hoses. This will allow faster hookup and easier clean up (I think).
Note: the Pumps lay down flat in drawer 4 and the drawer closes. The plumbing also sits sideways in drawer 3 flat. This makes it clean to store as looks like 2 tool chests with pots on top.
Note: I will be painting the plumbing mounting (2X4) gloss enamel so it matches the cabinets. When brewing should almost look same as when stored, except for white hoses and valves. See pic top of page.
I'll be back if any problems in final tests. If not I will be brewing a pale ale sessions type beer as first go. The grain bill is pretty inexpensive in case of any ooopses! Also will be first test of my side by side as a fermenter now that the cooling issue has been better addressed. Will be fermenting in Kegs in the refridgerator. Capacity of 8!!!!!! additional 2 can be lagering right next door or serving with small modifications.

BrewLog27.jpg

BrewLog28.jpg

BrewLog29.jpg

BrewLog30.jpg

BrewLog31.jpg

Well major issues in testing all together as a set. First the space allocated for brewing was a few inches too small so that had to be rectified. Then the burners could not be lit as planned. I had always just lifted the kettles to ligh... can't when full of liquid...duh! So I bought electric igniters and hope I can figure out how to use. ALL input on connecting them WILL be appreciated! Directions pretty slim or I'm getting dumber in my old age??? Lastly a couple of leaks in my sight gauges. The clamps were letting water past both of them... changing tubing size and clamp size seems to have fixed that problem. Also had a leak, imagine that, in a ball valve I hadn't tightened!
Hoping to brew this week as soon as I get everything working in unison!
I also haven't attended to the fermenter themostat issue yet either. That should be easy enough though.
Aloha from sunny Hawaii.

zzzzzzzzz said:
I will be putting QDs on most lines, but ordered all barbed male and females (ooops) I want females to be screwed direct to valves/Ts etc and males barbed to hoses. This will allow faster hookup and easier clean up (I think).

If you're doing QDs, I'd recommend doing males on any fixed connections and females on all hose ends. If you have the males on hoses they are more prone to getting banged up and deformed from being bounced off the ground which can cause connection issues.

If you're doing QDs, I'd recommend doing males on any fixed connections and females on all hose ends. If you have the males on hoses they are more prone to getting banged up and deformed from being bounced off the ground which can cause connection issues.

thanks... HAVENT REORDERED YET AND VERY GOOD POINT!

Any thoughts on how to use electric igniters?

Aloha

Well, all didn't go well. Found several fittings where the Teflon tape wasn't thick enough, had to redo them 4 layers thick. Took all the plumbing apart and painted the whole deal for pretty. The plumbing mounts all fit into drawer 3's and pumps w mounts fit drawer 4s. leaving drawer 5 for hoses and minimal emergency tools/parts and brew gloves???
Cleaning pots out and running starsan to prepare for a brew run tomorrow. A session type ale (simple & cheap first go).
Not as awesome as I pictured and nowhere near some of the great rigs on here, but easy to move store use and pretty enough to have in the house!
pics of:
1 - 2 brew cabinets sitting next to each other (stored). All equip stored in drawers pots on top.
2 - 2 brew cabs 20 minutes later ready to fire up and brew.
3 - the plumbing and mounts in drawer 3
4 - Ooops hit move, I post later
I'm going to retest all the new redone fittings and pumping and lines etc. No heat or grain. If all goes well I will go ahead and brew a batch tomorrow.
Aloha from Hawaii

BrewLog32a.jpg

BrewLog32b.jpg

BrewLog33a.jpg

BrewLog33b.jpg

BrewLog34a.jpg

Last photo of the plumbing BK cart. Will get pics of pump drawers tomorrow. and let you know how brew went then thread is pretty much done. The whole area needs a good reorganization and clean up as well as the cabinets could use a good buff up to!
First brew a pale ale session type brew. Next up will be a nice stout next Saturday.
Aloha

BrewLog34b.jpg

Oh yes... BIG problem... I had thought relighting the kettles as needed would be accomplished somehow or other and never really looked at how. Kettles full of hot/boiling water can be lifted to allow relighting etc. So went and bought Blickmann electronic igniters... WOW costly. The instuctions, written by someone in China??, were of absolutely no help. I got everything to spark etc....everywhere except where I wanted at the burner heads! After 2 days of futzing with it I quit. Drilled a hole on side of cabinets and through the burner wind shield and use one of the cheapo gas lighters that kinda look like a gun, now can light as needed and also use as view port to see flame etc. This was a major pain and will return the others in next few days.
Also I will incorporate QDs when parts arrive using suggestion above from Heckles, Thanks! QDs should cut the assembly in 1/2 to about 10 minutes and I haven't given much thought to the cleanup but should shorten that as well. My goal was to brew 2 batches in a 10 hour day or less (incl clean up). I had hoped to automate as well but this design doesn't lend itself to that and I don't have the skill set either. If after brewing again for a year or so maybe just buy a set up as my eyes are going and I already cant hear so automating for an assistant to assist will allow me to still be "doing it"
Aloha

FINALLY have more parts and pieces. Spent last week with Doctor appts etc and "spring " cleaning to get my space ready. SO... wends will be a build and test day.
Will have bought a side by side fridge for $100 to use as fermentor and freezer as pretty warm year round here in Hawaii. As soon as that is in place, I will brew a small batch of ale from extract to get some brew going!
The next for me on build is to test/compare my new March 815 pump to a smallish Iwaki 15 pump. I have tested the Iwaki for an hour pumping and volume is more than adequate, but gets a bit warm. It is a 100Volt Japanese voltage... ANYBODY know if this will be a problem?
If all goes well I will be buying and modifying the second tool chest and then first brew session should be first week of October! This build isn't nearly as awesome as some on here but will be better looking and could actually reside in the house. And at 66years old anything can be a big fun thing! LOL and I like beer!
Aloha, Jim ;)

Sorry if someone has already answered this but Japanese voltage is rated at 50Hz, not 60Hz like in the US. You will eventually burn that motor out

Thanks, huntb... no one had replyed about that, but that pump would get pretty hot, so I have relegated it to backup duty. It is mounted, but would only come into play should the other Iwaki (110) die in middle of a brew session. I then would cross fingers it would make it through that session. QDs when mounted will make switch over quite easy and quick.
Thanks for the input!

Thanks, huntb... no one had replyed about that, but that pump would get pretty hot, so I have relegated it to backup duty. It is mounted, but would only come into play should the other Iwaki (110) die in middle of a brew session. I then would cross fingers it would make it through that session. QDs when mounted will make switch over quite easy and quick.
Thanks for the input!

Actually, it looks like Iwaki makes its pumps compatible for both 50 and 60Hz applications since parts of Japan use 60Hz AC voltage. The difference between using 50 vs 60Hz is just going to be the speed at which the motor runs since these are using induction motors. The issue with using 120V on a 100V rated motor is overcurrent. That is why you are noticing it getting warm. Without knowing the model number of your pump it will be hard to determine if that is going to be an issue or not

huntb, Just went to get numbers and realized that the two mounted are Iwaki 20s both 110. The 100V one I have is a Iwaki 15 that I got for $20 as I recall. It is plenty powerful enough, but 100 Volt and the ports are smaller so I decided upon the 20's. Here's the numbers from the 15 just to get whatever info I can.
MD-15RN1
91-34888
volt 100
29/31 W
50/60 Hz
If anyone wants one $20 plus shipping. very clean and runs fine.
Aloha, and thanks again, huntb

1st brew was done on Monday 11/04/2013! A nice sessions Pale Ale (I hope). Based on EdWort "Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale" I used Amarillo instead.
NO LEAKS! Thankfully. The pumps and ball valves all worked like they should.
BUT, the false bottom thingy I made only worked through the HERM recycle and then plugged up completely at the pumping to BK and sparge. I had taken a 12" vegetable steamer and sewed a split 1/2 thin wall silicone tubing around the edge to make a fairly impenetrable gasket to the MLT bottom. I thought maybe the holes would let too much grain etc into the bottom so I sewed some stainless screen (100 micron I think) with stainless thread across the top. Worked for awhile then completely stopped! Grrrrr. So I used my good water tight brewing gloves reached down and removed it and tried that. It worked for a couple of minutes and so much crud got into the plumbing and the pump that all stopped again for good!
I then had my brew buddy hold two stainless wire colanders inside each other and dumped/emptied etc etc etc.. the grains into them separating the sweet wort from the grains, which went into a bucket. We then did it again with a third smaller colander and appeared to get all but very small particles out. I dumped the sweet wort into the BK and heated fresh water to about 175 on the stove and dumped into the bucket with the grain and did the separation thing again. This and the thoughts and words surrounding it took about an hour so didn't lose much time as had planned to transfer at 2 cups/90 seconds rate for 6gallons = 36 mins. I had started the BK after the first separation so we didn't lose anymore time. The Boiling, hops additions and cooling through the jockey box went without a hitch as did the transfer to fermenters ( 2 - 1 gal bottles and a Corny keg) I have approx. 5.75 gals of brew fermenting. OG was expected 1.051 for 5.5 gals, I have a bit more so mine was 1.046. I guess the efficiency wasn't too bad??? There was a huge amount of crud in the two 1 gallons I poured off first. So I let them settle for a bit and transferred to new sterile bottles for fermentation. I pitched Safale -05 in the corny per recipe and on 1 gallon(started 8hrs going still 3 days later) and Safbrew S-33 in the other 1 gallon. I had that from an earlier stove brew(it took off like crazy done in 1.5 days!).
I'll attach pics of my faulty false bottom and of the boil, but it went pretty good all in all... 5hr 45 minutes start to finish with some clean up done also. set up was described earlier as 15-20 mins as I recall and washing etc what remained and break down roll into the "cave" was an hour so I'd say 6-6.5 hours even with the sparge problem. I had to do some major cleaning as pump and plumbing was filled with grain bits!
Now have a 20mesh screen and a 40 mesh screen to put under my false bottom to screen out more grain crud. will try the 20 first on my next brew... a porter this weekend and the 40 on my 3rd brew/ a stout if the 20 didn't work well. One that didn't work was 250 micron ~ 60 mesh (it plugged 1/2 way thru brewing when pumping to BK.

Just a note of caution, propane is heavier than air, if a burner isn't lit, any gas will settle in the drawer below. Re-lighting might cause a serious problem.

Thanks ChuckO. I light them currently with BBQ starter with live flame. It ignites immediately and there is a bit of a "whoosh" so easy to tell. Would suck to have a round tool chest and hot water everywhere or worse! :eek:
Burners in first brew worked perfectly, faster than sitting on my kitchen floor! Must be some sort of convection thing going on due to sucking heat through small space around pot bases??? Have no idea but much faster.

This rig works really well and totally portable only addition to be made would be a jacketed mash tun. Saw my class mates nice and easy... get rid of HERMs mess! Then nice if all automated, but that might take the fun out of a brew day???? takes 4.5 hrs for one 5gal batch and add'l 1.5 hrs per batch there after. 3 diff beers in a day is no problem. I am now using a false bottom in mash tun with SS mesh screen to keep grains out of pump etc... haven't had any problems with that.
Cheers, zzzzzzzzz :mug:

Back