Hi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeadFarmer

Reaction score
I am green to this brewing thing and have been reading websites and this forum and just joined to ask some questions and hopefully get some great answers. I hear about every one making 5 gallon batches is it okay to make 2.5 gallon batches? I was woundering this so i had some beginner batches before i started making 5 gallon batches?

No it's completely fine (assuming you're not planning on fermenting a 2.5gal in a 5gal fermenter), you'll just have to divide all your recipes for 5gal batches in half!

nothing wrong at all

But I disagree with Oldmate on one point - you can ferment 2.5 g in a 5 gal buckets, theres enough CO2 produce to avaoid oxygenation, Just don't secondary (if you choose to secondary) with that much extra head space.

Of course Lowe's has 3.5 g buckets that work great with 2.5 gal batches.

Good Luck!

What if you make an awesome beer, and then wish you had 2.5 more gallons of it. I'm not in the camp of making smaller batches to "get you feet wet". I say go for the 5 gallons and start brewing beer!!! Before you know it, you'll be on here asking advice about all grain brewing and kegerators :)

Welcome to the obsession and good luck.

nb.

If your starting off like many do using pre-hopped extract they are designed to go into 5 gallons and not 2.5. You can just water em down to 2.5 gallons (and in that case infact skip most of extra fermentables, but your IBU's will effectivly double.

You can do it, but its not worth all the extra work. Most of the equipment you buy is geared toward 5 gallons, all the kits are that way, most buckets and carboys. The amount of time you need to brew is the same, and you get more tasty beer.

really man, i would just go with 5 gallons. is there a reason why you wouldnt other than maybe feeling apprehensive?

well i am one of those people who like to stick a inch in at a time before i leap all the way into something.

you'd be making more work for yourself going with 2.5 since you would have to measure everything in half to get it right which would defeat the purpose of just sticking your toes in to get a feel.

What most people do (who dont start out with Mr. Beer), is go to your Local HomeBrew Store, grab an easy kit, and go for it!

you'd be making more work for yourself going with 2.5 since you would have to measure everything in half to get it right which would defeat the purpose of just sticking your toes in to get a feel.

What most people do (who dont start out with Mr. Beer), is go to your Local HomeBrew Store, grab an easy kit, and go for it!

I agree:ban:

Keep reading here(HBT) and buy or read the online version of How to Brew! Great book, easy to read, and will get you pointed in the right direction! Home brewing is a giant hobby but you will be amazed at how easy it is to just make good beer! Have fun with it, the beer will happen!

Another thing about doing small batches, is that not all ingredients scale properly. Grains usually scale down alright, but hops and yeast do not.

As others have said, its usually easier to ahead with just a 5 gallon recipe. It will take longer to try to convert things to a 2.5 batch and even then, it will still not be exactly the same.

Welcome to the club!

i like the idea of a 2.5 gallon batch. do it once. keep in mind it takes the same amount of effort to do 5 gallons. You'll prolly realize why we do 5 gallons minimum(especially all grainers). But do not buy a kettle or anything else geared toward 2.5 gallons.

no i have not bought any of the official stuff that would lead me that way but thinks for the info what exactly is all grainers?

doing "all grain" batches as opposed to extract. They are just different methods to make beer. All grain takes longer to do, usually around 5 hours, so doing larger batches makes sense.

Just to add my two cents worth, I started brewing a few years ago and thought about starting with a half batch fearing that I'd end up with skunk water and have to toss it out. I think it was an Octoberfest that I made and really had no idea what I was doing except for the kit directions and advice from this forum. Long story short, the beer turned out GREAT! I haven't looked back and was glad I made the full 5 gal.

GO FOR IT!!!

thinks for that i think i would be good at this and it sounds like the challenge i have been looking for i can coook any thing and i know its not cooking but the way you talk about it makes it sound like an Art unlike any i have tried. I was woundering if any one had a clone carona recipe?

Latest posts

Back