Hi there from Italy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
giorgione said:
Thanks.
I took a look to your website, nice philosopy.

Thanks, Giorgione. I started the website a while ago just for friends and family, so they would know what was brewing and available, and it's just grown from there.

Do you have other homebrewers you can connect with in Italy?

I'll try to involve guys from an Italian hb forum I go round with.
Question: watching your pics it seems that you grow hops.
How is your experience about that?

I'll try to involve guys from an Italian hb forum I go round with.
Question: watching your pics it seems that you grow hops.
How is your experience about that?

This past summer was my first year growing them. Here are the three blog posts I did about my hop growing:

Planting the Hops! : Singing Boys Brewing Blog
First Hop Harvest! : Singing Boys Brewing Blog
Final Hop Harvest 2011 : Singing Boys Brewing Blog

What I'm told is that it takes up to three seasons for the hops to really establish themselves. I planted three hills of Cascades and two hills of Willamettes in the spring, running them up twine that I extend up the side of our home, to the second floor. The Cascades grew like crazy and I harvested a good amount of cones, but they aren't nearly as fragrant as I would expect. The Willamettes came up, grew some, but then just kind of stopped. They didn't die, they just didn't thrive.

I'm really hopeful the Cascades will continue to thrive next year and produce better, more aromatic, cones. I'm still mulling on whether to give the Willamettes another season (to see if they were busy building their root structure last year), or to dig them up and replace them with Chinook.

I'd like to grow my own hops.
It's not so easy in Italy to find the roots, most of website selling hops roots are German, and unfortunately written in German, a language very unknown for me.
Last autumn I went into the woods to pick wild hops cones, and after a very hard and long harvest I've been told that they are not good for brewing...
:(

Hey, welcome giorgio.. we have a VERY SMALL town about 3km north of me with the name Asti. There used to be a lot of wine that came from that town.. There still is, but the wines are now part of very large wineries.. My whole area is nothing but vineyards for miles and miles.

Uh!
I knew that, that town was founded by people coming from Asti.
We've a lot of vineyards nere here as well, all around we can say...
Basically growing Barbera and Moscato.
You're from Sonoma valley, isn't it? I' should have been there last year for a cousin of mine wedding (they're from Danville), but I couldn't.
Cheers

Nice, you live close to where one of my favorite beers ever is produced (Panil Barriquée Sour).

Nice, you live close to where one of my favorite beers ever is produced (Panil Barriquée Sour).
I have to taste it!
I didn't know about that brewery, but it's really very close to where I leave.
Thanks for advice!
Cheers

Latest posts

Back