Hi-jack Alert!!!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing to consider is that a shotgun is effective for the living that are trying to do raids on your compound. Zombies won't be the only things trying to get you, Mad Max style thugs and thieves will try to steal your resources.

I've already got my plan in place in case the zeds decide to show up here, I'm just missing some guns. I hear there's some in Texas that'll be for sale soon...

Another thing to consider is that a shotgun is effective for the living that are trying to do raids on your compound. Zombies won't be the only things trying to get you, Mad Max style thugs and thieves will try to steal your resources.

I've already got my plan in place in case the zeds decide to show up here, I'm just missing some guns. I hear there's some in Texas that'll be for sale soon...

As I've said before, a scattergun is a great addition to any home/bunker arsenal, but it's not something I'd grab on my way out the door...

As I've said before, a scattergun is a great addition to any home/bunker arsenal, but it's not something I'd grab on my way out the door...

Your choice Evan!, but don't come crying to me when your unwillingness to revise your position gets your face eaten off by a zombie!

I'm just kidding. You can come crying to me.

Your choice Evan!, but don't come crying to me when your unwillingness to revise your position gets your face eaten off by a zombie!

I'm just kidding. You can come crying to me.

Yah, you can come crying to me when your face gets eaten off because you had to make a choice between a rifle and shotgun (carrying both, plus ammo, is quite a burden, and absolutely slows down your ability to escape and move undetected), and you chose the shotgun, and your place of refuge was quickly surrounded by hordes of the undead because one of them got inside and you unloaded both scattershot barrels in his head and alerted all the other zombies in the area, and were unable to pick them off from a safe location because, as I noted earlier, after about 10 feet, shotgun pellets are nothing but a minor annoyance to the undead, and by the time you were surrounded, it didn't matter how many scattershot rounds you had, because they kept on coming.

Yah, you can come crying to me when your face gets eaten off because you had to make a choice between a rifle and shotgun (carrying both, plus ammo, is quite a burden, and absolutely slows down your ability to escape and move undetected), and you chose the shotgun, and your place of refuge was quickly surrounded by hordes of the undead because one of them got inside and you unloaded both scattershot barrels in his head and alerted all the other zombies in the area, and were unable to pick them off from a safe location because, as I noted earlier, after about 10 feet, shotgun pellets are nothing but a minor annoyance to the undead, and by the time you were surrounded, it didn't matter how many scattershot rounds you had, because they kept on coming.

I think you need to stop drinking right now.

I think you need to stop drinking right now.

I'm sober as a monkey. I haven't even left work yet. It's just that I happen to have worked out the logistics of many possible undead crisis scenarios in my head, and it's apparent that not enough others have.

I'm sober as a monkey. I haven't even left work yet. It's just that I happen to have worked out the logistics of many possible undead crisis scenarios in my head, and it's apparent that not enough others have.

I thought you couldn't kill the undead. I always figured if they came looking for me I was doomed.

I think we all have way too much time on our hands

we'll see who's time was better spent when they rise.

nyer said:
I thought you couldn't kill the undead. I always figured if they came looking for me I was doomed.

"undead" is a bit of a misnomer. It's a kind of virus that takes over the brain. We're not talking any kind of supernatural "army of the undead" noise, just a biological disaster. They can be killed, but you need to cut them off at the source: the head (brain).

I take it you haven't read WWZ or ZSG.

Come on, man.........What self-respecting survivalist hasn't read ZSG? It's as critical a reference book as you're likely to find! I'd say it's right up there with Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or that Playboy with Victoria Silvstedt, Playmate of the Year. I read the articles.

ZSG has bad advice. It'll keep you alive initially but once you run out of supplies, there will be LOTS of zombies surrounding you instead of just a few that are easily dispatched.

ZSG has bad advice. It'll keep you alive initially but once you run out of supplies, there will be LOTS of zombies surrounding you instead of just a few that are easily dispatched.

All of the last chapter is dedicated to Living In An Undead World. The guide is fairly specific about how to stay alive. For sustainability of food supplies he asks that you refer to any number of other books for crop growth and wilderness survival guides.

His main idea is to barricade yourself in your home by chopping down your stairs. This just serves to keep you in one place while zombies amass under your stairs. You'd have a heck of a time getting out to farm with hordes of undead waiting for you.

Naw, those are "On The Run" policies. Only meant to keep you alive for a short time frame.

I suspect this may be a cultural thing, but I cannot for the life of me figure out who would look at an a "keggle ( or insert anything else)" and think "I really need to buy one of those". What sort of possible future event do people imagine that leads them to conclude that getting a " keggle ( or insert anything else )" is the way to go?

What does that have to do with killing zombies? Try to stay on topic Doc. ;)

I love that a thread entitled "My Obama plan," was actually about investing in assault rifles, and then quickly evolved into a debate about zombie killing! Only on HBT! :D

What does that have to do with killing zombies? Try to stay on topic Doc. ;)

I love that a thread entitled "My Obama plan," was actually about investing in assault rifles, and then quickly evolved into a debate about zombie killing! Only on HBT! :D

Ah you beat my edit to stay on topic. I swear that I need to prepare for the Zombie assault.

Full-auto makes an assault more effective.

Have you ever shot one of those on full? **** you have to put thousands of round in training down before you can control them. By the 3rd round your 20 feet of target even with the ARs reduced recoil.

Hell yes I am going to stock up as well. I dont think Obama understands that the entire USA is not like Chicago.

Well after all the talk today about Z-Day,I decided to sit down with some drink and work on a plan. I found a place years ago that sold old WWII Sherman tanks. The cannon is decommissioned and the co axial guns are gone,but itis a TANK! They run on gas, and its a TANK!!!!!!!!! I will need to track one of these downand get it in running order, maybe trade it in for something a little newer with less mileage when the time comes. Then, Evan, I'm heading your way!:tank:

Well after all the talk today about Z-Day,I decided to sit down with some drink and work on a plan. I found a place years ago that sold old WWII Sherman tanks. The cannon is decommissioned and the co axial guns are gone,but itis a TANK! They run on gas, and its a TANK!!!!!!!!! I will need to track one of these downand get it in running order, maybe trade it in for something a little newer with less mileage when the time comes. Then, Evan, I'm heading your way!:tank:

You'll want to be careful. If you've seen the 3rd resident evil film, you'll know that gasoline eventually runs out. I'd suggest getting a flexfuel snowplow(GM anyone?) and practicing making your own ethanol. That's a better long-term solution. Tanks get like .2mpg.

Have you ever shot one of those on full? **** you have to put thousands of round in training down before you can control them. By the 3rd round your 20 feet of target even with the ARs reduced recoil.

Hell yes I am going to stock up as well. I dont think Obama understands that the entire USA is not like Chicago.

We have a new AR in the safe and about 1500 rounds of .223 sitting in ammo cans right next to the night stand. ;)

We have a new AR in the safe and about 1500 rounds of .223 sitting in ammo cans right next to the night stand

Yea but you dotn have a full aoto do you?

Single shot- I love it I can nail a hedghog running the sprint. *no idea*

Yea but you dotn have a full aoto do you?

Single shot- I love it I can nail a hedghog running the sprint. *no idea*

Slight modifications would make it fairly easy to go full auto. Illegal, but if necessary(in the case of a zombie apocalypse) it can be done.

Wow this thread went a different direction. :)

Your weak attempt at making a political thread has been thwarted! :p

As it has already been stated, a fully auto AR15 against zombie hordes is a huge waste of ammo. You only need single head shots.

Laurel, you do need to read the ENTIRE ZSG book. It really does have excellent ideas on how to stay alive long term.

Now, I just had a brilliant idea. OK so you've bought your land out in the distant wilderness, set up your supplies, defenses, and water and food sources. But, you need a good power source. Sure, there's solar and windmills and excercise bikes, but what about constructing a giant underground hamster wheel and trapping zombies in it? You could make some one way bulletproof glass so the zombies try to attack, but it just moves the hamsterwheel. Sure it's slow going, but it's constantly turning, and there's always more zombies if one's legs fall off. Especially effective with the mythical 'fast' :rolleyes: zombies.

Sure, there's solar and windmills and excercise bikes, but what about constructing a giant underground hamster wheel and trapping zombies in it? You could make some one way bulletproof glass so the zombies try to attack, but it just moves the hamsterwheel. Sure it's slow going, but it's constantly turning, and there's always more zombies if one's legs fall off. Especially effective with the mythical 'fast' :rolleyes: zombies.

Well that is a brilliant idea! We could make it through this thing with your ingenious power source, Evan!'s knowledge of zombie killing, and my............god, I don't know..........ah, nevermind. I've got nothing to contribute; I'd probably just slow you down. I guess my role will have to be slowing the zombies down with my tasty flesh and intestines.

...what about constructing a giant underground hamster wheel and trapping zombies in it? You could make some one way bulletproof glass so the zombies try to attack, but it just moves the hamsterwheel.
That's a very good idea. And by getting them to exercise, it would also help to reduce zombie obesity, which is currently one of the leading causes of premature death among zombies. Along with being shot in the face and being set on fire.

You'll want to be careful. If you've seen the 3rd resident evil film, you'll know that gasoline eventually runs out. I'd suggest getting a flexfuel snowplow(GM anyone?) and practicing making your own ethanol. That's a better long-term solution. Tanks get like .2mpg.

Yes, I can only get about 120 miles to a full tank of gas....175 gallons....But this will get me to where I need to be. I think in this situation I would go for the slow but unstoppable power of one of these bad boys. And like I said, I might be able to trade it in for something with a few less miles from a army depot:D

Self Preservation is key here people!!

The hammster wheel is a great idea! But if you use the 28 days later zombies, not the super fast aspect, but they will starve out in...28 days. Zombies aren't known to eat themselves in times of need, are they?

It is a noval idea, but wouldn't work in the long run. But a good addition to home security would be a a moat, this will slow them down a helluva lot and mix in a like fire, this should take care of mass attacks, at least one or 2 pretty effectively

This is a very educational thread! Here I am, thinking I was all prepared, but no. I have my .308 bolt action, 30-30, Mossberg 590, and my 1911 copy. I thought I had all bases and ranges covered. I totally forgot a machete. Thank you fellow HBT'ers for saving possibly saving my life in case of zombie attack.
Now, if only someone could save me from a liberal anti gun president.....

Moats are bad, moats of fire are even worse. A better idea is to clear cut around your house and mark a range that you can accurately shoot at repeatedly. I would suggest it be at least 100 yards but what ever you are comfy with. As for the fire idea, the undead don't care that they are on fire and will shamble around aimlessly. Nothing worse than a walking Molotov Cocktail.

Moats are bad, moats of fire are even worse. A better idea is to clear cut around your house and mark a range that you can accurately shoot at repeatedly. I would suggest it be at least 100 yards but what ever you are comfy with. As for the fire idea, the undead don't care that they are on fire and will shamble around aimlessly. Nothing worse than a walking Molotov Cocktail.

Fire will also kill the brain. Well more like cook it. And I'm not talking a shallow, hire kids over summer to dig a ditch kinda moat, I'm talking a good 15-20 foot deep kinda moat. It would take quite some time for it to fill up with bodies, and from what I know, zombie's can not climb. I will think this through a little more.

I agree that clearing my land is the best thing to do, but if I'm looking down at a zombie army, I think my moat will come in handy. If I see you in the horde, I'm make sure to wave:rockin:

Fire will also kill the brain. Well more like cook it. And I'm not talking a shallow, hire kids over summer to dig a ditch kinda moat, I'm talking a good 15-20 foot deep kinda moat. It would take quite some time for it to fill up with bodies, and from what I know, zombie's can not climb. I will think this through a little more.

I agree that clearing my land is the best thing to do, but if I'm looking down at a zombie army, I think my moat will come in handy. If I see you in the horde, I'm make sure to wave:rockin:

really deep moat's not a bad idea...I still don't like the thought of fire, though.

Back