hi I'm new and maybe I messed up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mister

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to brewing and new to the forum.

Today I decided to try my hand at a mead.

I maybe made a mistake.

I put the campden tablet in with the yeast.

Is this supposed to inhibit yeast growth?

I'm getting bubbles in the air lock. Not many. One every two minutes.

How bad is it?

Thanks.

Here's what I did

1389501757945.jpg

Well, sulphites (the campden tablet) don't kill the yeast, just stun it a bit......

So if you are seeing some bubbling at the airlock then you are lucky. Normally it just takes much longer to see signs of active fermentation. .......

Just use something to aerate the hell out of it. If your batch is in a bucket you can sanitise a stick blender or an electric balloon whisk and use that.

If its in a glass jug/carboy then it can be a little harder and the best tool is a lees stirrer on a drill but the sanitised handle of a longish plastic or wooden spoon will work too.

Stir it at least once a day (twice would be better) for 3 or 4 days, or until it hits the 1/3rd sugar break.

The air/O2 not only helps with yeast development but also helps dissipate the sulphites....

Ok. It's in a one gallon glass jug.

Should I wait 3-4 days to put in the 2 cups I left out so it would have head room to ferment?

Ok. It's in a one gallon glass jug.

Should I wait 3-4 days to put in the 2 cups I left out so it would have head room to ferment?
Head space ? Excellent.

Yes I would just aerate as suggested then let the couple of cups come up to room temp, give it its final stir and then add the residual amount......

Back