Hi guys, I'm brewing at home for the first time, and I need some insight.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHayes23

Reaction score
So, I started a Mead brew about a week ago, I used about 12 cups of honey, and approximately 3 gallons of water, a packet and a half of D47 yeast, and about a 1/2 a Tablespoon of yeast Energizer. I was worried because the recipe said you should see some fermentation in the first couple of days, well, after about 5 days it's starting to fizz a bit and there's significant foam at the top. My only problem is, my hydrometer seems to be floating a bit high, I'll post some pics, but I mean I just want to know that my first brew isnt a disaster. Where the red is, that's where my hydrometer has dropped consistently. It just seems like a super high range.

Attachments

• 20200603_204410.jpg
    20200603_204410.jpg
    884.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200603_210346.jpg
    20200603_210346.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 44
I don't know if your fermentation is particularly slow for a mead, and I'm sure someone with more mead experience will probably chime in. Yeast "energizer" is intended to get the yeast off to a good start, but honey is not a nutrient rich medium, and additional nitrogen in the form of Fermaid-K and/or DAP is usually added periodically during the fermentation (or in a larger qty at the beginning). Of course, there may be several products referred to as "energizer," so maybe you've already added the appropriate nutrients.

What was the gravity reading when you started? What is it now? What temp are you fermenting at?

It's had that reading since the start, maybe one or two notches down since then, but it's been reading at that level consistently. I've got it at about 57 degrees, but like I said, it's showing signs of fermentation, but the hydrometer is confusing me a bit.

I've never used that yeast and I don't brew meads, but sounds like you are fermenting too cold. Looks like the recommended temp range for that yeast is 59-68. Looks like fermentation is going, just really slow. Get the temp up to the low-mid 60's and I bet you'll be fine.

Yeah I think it Needs a little more warmth. But are you reading the brix or specific gravity scale on the hydrometer? If alcohol is present, the brix will be skewed. You need to use a calculator.

So the Brix is right on the 35 line, it's heavily carbonated which makes me think the yeast is processing, it's just you figure that the hydrometer would sink lower than what it's sinking. I'll try increasing the temp in the space where it is, but by smell, taste, and carbonation, it seems to be fermenting well, the only thing I'm getting stumped on is the hydrometer reading.

Doesn't mead take for fricken ever to hit FG? I remember my buddy sitting on a batch for nearly a year.

Congrats on your first. It's a fun "hobby".

See, I've heard so many different fermentation times, that's why I had to just break down and come to a forum, because I was worried at first, but with the heavy carbonation, that makes me think the CO2 from the yeast is prevalent. So I really just came on here because I mean between the weird hydrometer reading, and the heavy carbonation in the first week of fermentation, I'm just kinda wondering where I am in this whole process.

it's heavily carbonated

As any beverage ferments it produces CO2 so this is normal. It produces so much CO2 that it can't stay dissolved in the beverage so it bubbles out. Some of the bubbles like to stick to the hydrometer and help it float higher. This gives a higher (and false) reading.

As any beverage ferments it produces CO2 so this is normal. It produces so much CO2 that it can't stay dissolved in the beverage so it bubbles out. Some of the bubbles like to stick to the hydrometer and help it float higher. This gives a higher (and false) reading.
The magic of yeast! Also, this is why bread rises.

So the Brix is right on the 35 line, it's heavily carbonated which makes me think the yeast is processing, it's just you figure that the hydrometer would sink lower than what it's sinking.

It must be the CO2 (or something) pushing up on the hydrometer. Or a bad hydrometer. Looking at the amount of honey and water, even the OG should be nowhere near 35 brix.

ETA: Another thought. This was a fairly small batch. If you are putting the hydrometer directly in the fermenter, is it actually floating, or is it bottoming out on the bottom of the fermenter or yeast trub?

Making mead is quite different from making beer. There is a mead forum, you should be posting your question there.

Your temp does indeed seem to be low.

Modern protocols have drastically shortened the time necessary to make mead, they involve adding nutrients at specific points during the fermentation, and de-gassing to release CO2. During the initial phase it'll need to be de-gassed daily.

If you haven't de-gassed it, be careful when you do. Put the fermenter in a large tub or something that can catch a spill, because when you start agitating it the gas can come out all at once in an eruption.

You're not going to get an accurate hydrometer reading with lots of CO2 in solution. Same reason you have to let carbonated beer go flat before you can take a hydrometer reading.

So, I started a Mead brew about a week ago, I used about 12 cups of honey, and approximately 3 gallons of water

Edited
Thanks @VikeMan I did...
About 3.75 Gallons total Volume with 9 Pounds Honey . Then is about 2.4 Pounds of honey per gallon and 2.4 pounds per gallon should = 1.084 OG (SG not BRIX) Your hydrometer looks like a triple scale hydrometer and one of those will be SG.

A packet and a half of D47 yeast, and about a 1/2 a Tablespoon of yeast Energizer. I was worried because the recipe said you should see some fermentation in the first couple of days, well, after about 5 days it's starting to fizz a bit and there's significant foam at the top
1.5 Packets D47 = about 7.5 Grams yeast and that is more than enough yeast for the volume of sugar you have in solution. I would suggest that although you added some yeast energizer it probably isn't enough. Search the forum or Google for Staggered Nutrient Protocol (SNA).

With that said, it definitely looks like you are fermenting the honey. The Krausen (Foam), some "fizz" haze or opaque solution definitely indicate fermentation is taking place.

My only problem is, my hydrometer seems to be floating a bit high, I'll post some pics, Where the red is, that's where my hydrometer has dropped consistently. It just seems like a super high range.
Yep your hydrometer definitely looks like it might need to be looked at a bit more. There should be a range on the hydrometer on the other side of the hydrometer (reference your pic). The range is likely from 0.990 tp 1.160 or something near that and the bottom of the scale should have a temperature indication - Usually 60 Deg F but sometimes 68 Deg F.

but I mean I just want to know that my first brew isn't a disaster.
Definitely not a disaster. Looks to me like your moving along. 57 Deg F is on the low end for D47 but IMO slow and cool is better as D47 tends to throw some off flavors if above about 68 Deg F.

Consider adding some additional nutrients, Follow the SNA protocol - Careful additional nutrients without stirring to release the CO2 cause a LOT of foam. (Think Mentos and Diet Coke) Trust me mead fountains are not fun... (Don't ask how I know.) I remove a little mead dissolve the nutrients to it and pour it back a little at a time. Stir or lightly shake the mead once or twice a day for the next few days to keep the yeast in suspension.

If you have a hydrometer receiver (Small thin graduated cylinder) use that to check your SG. It should be falling slowly over time. Oh, and your mead using D47 and at 57 Deg F will likely take 30 - 45 days to complete.

Last edited:
12 cups of honey in 3 gallons water assuming 12 oz of honey per cup gives you 4 cups per gallon or 3 pounds of honey per gallon. 3 pounds of honey should give you an Original Gravity (OG) of roughly 1.105 (SG not BRIX)

Don't forget that the honey itself adds volume, so the OG would be somewhat lower.

So, I started a Mead brew about a week ago, I used about 12 cups of honey, and approximately 3 gallons of water

Edited
Thanks @VikeMan I did...
About 3.75 Gallons total Volume with 9 Pounds Honey . Then is about 2.4 Pounds of honey per gallon and 2.4 pounds per gallon should = 1.084 OG (SG not BRIX) Your hydrometer looks like a triple scale hydrometer and one of those will be SG.

A packet and a half of D47 yeast, and about a 1/2 a Tablespoon of yeast Energizer. I was worried because the recipe said you should see some fermentation in the first couple of days, well, after about 5 days it's starting to fizz a bit and there's significant foam at the top
1.5 Packets D47 = about 7.5 Grams yeast and that is more than enough yeast for the volume of sugar you have in solution. I would suggest that although you added some yeast energizer it probably isn't enough. Search the forum or Google for Staggered Nutrient Protocol (SNA).

With that said, it definitely looks like you are fermenting the honey. The Krausen (Foam), some "fizz" haze or opaque solution definitely indicate fermentation is taking place.

My only problem is, my hydrometer seems to be floating a bit high, I'll post some pics, Where the red is, that's where my hydrometer has dropped consistently. It just seems like a super high range.
Yep your hydrometer definitely looks like it might need to be looked at a bit more. There should be a range on the hydrometer on the other side of the hydrometer (reference your pic). The range is likely from 0.990 tp 1.160 or something near that and the bottom of the scale should have a temperature indication - Usually 60 Deg F but sometimes 68 Deg F.

but I mean I just want to know that my first brew isn't a disaster.
Definitely not a disaster. Looks to me like your moving along. 57 Deg F is on the low end for D47 but IMO slow and cool is better as D47 tends to throw some off flavors if above about 68 Deg F.

Consider adding some additional nutrients, Follow the SNA protocol - Careful additional nutrients without stirring to release the CO2 cause a LOT of foam. (Think Mentos and Diet Coke) Trust me mead fountains are not fun... (Don't ask how I know.) I remove a little mead dissolve the nutrients to it and pour it back a little at a time. Stir or lightly shake the mead once or twice a day for the next few days to keep the yeast in suspension.

If you have a hydrometer receiver (Small thin graduated cylinder) use that to check your SG. It should be falling slowly over time. Oh, and your mead using D47 and at 57 Deg F will likely take 30 - 45 days to complete.
Yo, super helpful, thank you so much!

It must be the CO2 (or something) pushing up on the hydrometer. Or a bad hydrometer. Looking at the amount of honey and water, even the OG should be nowhere near 35 brix.

ETA: Another thought. This was a fairly small batch. If you are putting the hydrometer directly in the fermenter, is it actually floating, or is it bottoming out on the bottom of the fermenter or yeast trub?
It's definitely floating, I thought it would bottom out at first, but it's definitely afloat

Back