Hi from True North

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rymo780

Reaction score
Greetings from Canada. Just pulled the gear out of retirement after a couple years and I joined the forum to ask about sanitizing. I'm from Edmonton Alberta, that's just east of the Rockies. Right now it's -30 during the day and -40 at night. That's Celsius, but bear in mind that -40 is the same in Celsius and Fahrenheit, haha. It's supposed to stay this way all week so I'm really looking forward to my brew being done 'cause I probably won't be going out. Ha.

Cheers,

Rymo

Nice to meet you, Rymo! Always great to see another Canuck on the forums. Here in Halifax it's above zero sometimes. We should meet up somewhere in the middle. Race you to Montreal!

Wow. That is hell of cold. I thought I was hardcore growing up in Ottawa with occasional thirty-below days, but damn man. That the hell is cold.
Make sure you have something to drink while you wait for the first batch out of retirement to finish. Stir craziness + brewer's paranoia is not a good mix.

Welcome to the boards.

Welcome fellow Canuck! :mug:

There's quite a few of us out your way! We're having a freak warm snap right now, it was 5C today and raining! But apparently overnight tonight it's dipping back to down -12C or something and going to stay there again.

bradsul said:
Welcome fellow Canuck! :mug:

There's quite a few of us out your way! We're having a freak warm snap right now, it was 5C today and raining! But apparently overnight tonight it's dipping back to down -12C or something and going to stay there again.

sounds icy.

Judd said:
sounds icy.
That's for sure! I was supposed to go into the office today for a meeting but I said 'nuts to that'. It's a 150KM round trip and I'm not doing it in high winds and newly frozen ice all over everything!

Cheers Guys,

I've been to Halifax for Alexander Keith's Brewery Birthday party a few years back. Beautiful city, we had an awesome time. Pretty wet while we were there, but a lot warmer than I had suspected.
Brad, what part of Ontario do you come from? I've got an uncle in London, he says there's some decent fly fishing around there. There's some pretty nice rivers in Alberta where we fly fish in the summer.

Rymo

I'm from Guelph (1.5 hours or so from London). My home river is the Grand River tailwater. I basically live there during trout season.

A fishing trip (or 3) out west is on my to-do list in life. :)

Welcome to the forum! I was at a trade show in Edmonton a few years back (in the summer) and absolutely loved your city.
Enjoy.

Welcome - you and I are on the same program. Dusted off the homebrew gear after about 10 years. The answers to your questions can be found here!

One of my buddies from grad school is from Edmonton. An Oilers freeeeak.

Hey just to let you Canadian types know... We here in Minnesota are watching the border VERY VERY closely...so don't try any funny stuff....

Anyway, welcome to HBT. Look me up if you head south for warmth... I mean it's like a whole -14 F. here ... that's gotta be like a heat wave for ya.

Bradsul, I have a couple friends in Guelph! Also one in Barrie, and then one from Whitby that lived in Hamilton for a while (that's where I visited him at) that has since moved to the U.S.

The GTA is a blast to hang out in and especially to drive around in! :D

Rymo, put your location in your profile so we know where you're from. It may come in useful when the revolution starts. Until then, learn the secret handshake and lay low until you get the sign. :rockin:

Welcome aboard.

Hey neighbor to the north -- welcome! Nice to see another Albertan here, and a fly fisherman to boot!

I don't know if you realized it, but your town has one of the best homebrew clubs in North America. Check them out, if you haven't already: http://www.ehg.ca.

Hope you enjoy your time here! Stay warm!

Latest posts

Back