Hi from SW Wisconsin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongoose33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I feel like I'm at an AA meeting or something.....Hello, my name is Mongoose, and I'm a home brewer....

My journey: my favorite beer of all time is/WAS Potosi Cave Ale. A malty brew, pretty high ABV of 6.5, great mouthfeel, it was just what the doctor ordered. I like hoppy brews too, and some other ones, but Cave Ale? No finer nectar has ever been brewed.

Then Potosi Brewing began brewing their own beer instead of contracting it out, they hired a new brewmaster, and he somehow thought he should screw around with perfection. My gosh, Cave Ale was on tap in Madison; if that's not the sign of a new hit, what is? Who screws around with a hit?

So wisdom escaped the Potosi Brewing Company, and a new recipe was born--and not for the better. ABV down to 5.5, and a sour finish, less desirable mouthfeel, and just a real letdown. In a word: Ick.

Meanwhile, my son, unbeknownst to me, decided he would venture into the world of homebrewing. He does gallon batches, and he's been producing drinkable product, making mistakes, learning from them. He lets me in on his new hobby/passion, I ask some questions, and then LIGHTNING STRIKES!

AHA, I say to myself--AHA! AHA! What--WHAT--if I try my hand at home brewing? Maybe I can make Cave Ale, or.....even....something BETTER!

So my son explains the basic process, I anticipate some Christmas cash, obtain permission from the financial officer of the family (not me), and I order up a bunch of brewing equipment from a well-known vendor.

I get Palmer's book, I'm reading online, I'm quizzing my son. I receive the equipment, and I decide, when I purchase it, that I'm not going halfway. I'm going to get quality stuff, I'm not going to buy a bunch of cheap crap that three brews in, I'm going to regret buying.

<introduction interlude> When I get interested in something, I REALLY get interested. I want to plumb the depths of every mystery, figure it all out, get as deep into it as I can. This has led me to, among other things, the making of matched golf clubs, fantasy baseball (I used to publish game theory in a national publication), playing golf (on a day of miracles, I actually shot a round of par), poker (you should see the books I have), ammo reloading, trap shooting....and guess what now? Yeah, home brewing. Get the hell out of my way, there are things to LEARN!>

So here I am. My first batch was Irish Red Ale. Screwed up the boil a bit by putting in the malt extract at 170 degrees instead of when I returned teh steeped wort to boiling, but that should be ok. Fermented up fine, it's now in a secondary fermenter, and it's been 12 days.

Then I turned to my quest to find Cave Ale. Bought an English Bitters kit from a local brew haus, the owner suggested adding a couple extra pounds of light DME to the recipe, and on Sunday I brewed it up. My first boilover (learned something there), though it wasn't bad.

It's in the primary fermenter now, and it is still going, more than 4 days after I brewed it. The airlock was bubbling twice a second for a day or more, it was really going to town. The OG was 1.063, which depending on the finish, should produce an ABV pretty close to Cave Ale. It's a start.

Bubbling is down to a few a minute, and I'm trying to figure out how I'll finish it. The gas escaping has a fruity aroma, so I'm reading up on that. Thinking I'll just leave it in the primary for 3 weeks, hopefully most of that will be cleaned up. The primary is at 68* right now, and I have no good way to cool it.

I'll probably bottle the Red Ale this weekend, a couple more weeks before the second batch is ready.

One thing: I'm not very patient. This waiting is killing me. I think I'll open a Sam Adams while I wait. I can keep the bottle. :)

Well, it looks like nobody needs to warn you of the "obsession" that is homebrewing. :mug:

You will find an amazing amount of information within these pages, HBT is truly an immense wealth of knowledge and experience.

Another welcome from Minnesota (I am a WI native though)!!

Great introduction. You left out your fermentation temperature control and the yeast you used. Controlling the fermentation temperature can be complicated and involve dollars, or as simple as water, a wet towel, and a fan.

im guessing that Jerry from the Brew Haus in dubuque is helping you out. if so then you will be fine. he is awesome. From Bellevue, Iowa.

Why, yes, yes he is. I stumbled across him about 10 days ago (who knew?) and he immediately invited me to the Dubuque Area SOBs. (Society of Brewers).

Very fun--interesting, lots to learn, lots of people willing to teach. I like that.

The second batch was his idea--using the extra DME to malt it up and raise the ABV, to try to approximate Cave Ale. Pretty fruity aroma right now, I'm hoping that conditioning will help that out.

Planning on bottling the first batch (Irish Red Ale) this weekend. Then another week or so, and I'll be able to see what I have wrought. If anything. :)

Great introduction. You left out your fermentation temperature control and the yeast you used. Controlling the fermentation temperature can be complicated and involve dollars, or as simple as water, a wet towel, and a fan.

That's probably my next step. It's fermenting in the basement where the ambient temps are about 67 degrees. I may have made an error in covering the fermenter with a cardboard box to keep out light; it also, I'm sure, keeps heat in. I have a lot of fruity aroma coming off the fermenter (which after 5 full days is still going).

Next time I think I'll do that swamp cooler thing with the towel and water. The funny thing is that in the winter the basement will drop to about 65 degrees, and there are corners I can block off that probably can do better (lower) than that.

But it's an El Nino year, it's almost like Winter isn't going to make an appearance. So the basement is warmer than it usually would be.

Welcome, from Madtown. Even if you skip the towel/fan bit of a swamp cooler, a tub of water will help keep temps stable (thermal mass, and all that). I'm fortunate enough to have a 60 degree cellar right now, time to refill the pipeline!

Latest posts

Back