Hi from Somerset, NJ!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLHockeyKnight

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a really early newbie, starting to read "The Complete Joy of Home Brewing" by Charlie Papazian. My friend mentioned it's "The Bible for new brewers." I'm gonna read through it, get started, and hopefully all of you can help if I need it. As for myself, I'm a 23 year old guy who loves hockey and is a big Flyers, Phillies, and Orioles fan. I'm a Rutgers graduate with a Bachelors in Engineering.

I do have two questions...what's the legal status on home brewing in NJ? The introduction to Papazian's book mentioned it's federally legal, but each state has the right to do it's own laws. I think I read on a site you need to get a permit for $15 / year, which limits to 200 gallons per year. Is this true? Help would be appreciated.

Also, another friend said that sometimes brewing can create some unwanted odors. Is this true? Is it ok to brew in a basement, or a garage? Which would you all recommend?

I may not be on a lot at first, but as I get going with this new "experiment" I should be on a lot more. I'm starting a new job so I'll be focusing on that, but once I get comfortable(and get a steady income) I'll start getting the equipment to start brewing!

Welcome to the obsession. We're pretty close so if you have any specifics about NJ brewing, let me know. If you're interested in joining a club, check out the WHALES.

The permit for brewing in NJ is $20 a year and it's pure red tape scam. No one is knocking on doors. Act like you never read this.

Howdy neighbor, and welcome! Seems you're in my neighborhood.

Home brewing is perfectly legal in New Jersey, and there are several home brew supply and brew-on-premises in the area with a lot of great information. You'll might want to check out Princeton Homebrew in Ewing Township, and The Brewer's Apprentice in Freehold. The guy at PHB is very helpful!

As far smells go... Yes there can be some odors that might offend a sensitive palate, but while the fermentation is rolling I've not personally come across anything more intense than, say, the smell of baking or frying in the house. What I have noticed is a pleasant, yeasty smell, not unlike bread. Basements and garages are fair game for fermenting (and lagering) as long as you can either (a) control the temperature, or (b) at least have a consistent temperature for the style of beer you're brewing. Whatever you do, you'll want to avoid wide temperature swings, since this can stress your yeast.

Welcome to the Experiment! You'll find a lot of fantastic information on these boards, as well as a lot of really nice and helpful people. Enjoy!

Back