Hi from Santa Clarita, CA. Recipe advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elwood522

Reaction score
Hey all
Longtime lurker and user of recipes on the site, but just joined up now. Been extract brewing for a few years and all grain for about 6 months now.

Wanted to make a summer-y session beer for my wife and I to enjoy in the 100 degree heat in Santa Clarita this summer. I want it to be about 4.5% and kind of be a cross between Brooklyn Summer Ale (biscuit-y and crisp) and Weinhenstephaner Original Premium, clean and slightly malty with german hops.
I like doing a single hop a lot and wanted to try an ale with just hallertau mittelfrüh hops. I also like to keep the grain bill as simple as possible so I can keep the background noise down and really taste what I'm putting in.

I have never come up with a recipe from scratch so tell me if this seems like it would be just terribly undrinkable:

7.5 lbs 2-row
1 lb biscuit (I have never used this grain before, I heard you shouldn't do more than 10% of the grain bill as biscuit but I kinda want to put a lot in so I can really taste it and reduce in the next batch if necessary.)

1 oz hallertau mittelfrüh 60 min
1 oz hallertau mittelfrüh 30 min
1 oz hallertau mittelfrüh 15 min
1 oz hallertau mittelfrüh 5 min

Safale american ale yeast, ferment at 68 for 2 weeks

According to the brewer's friend calculator, that would be
1.043 OG
1.008 FG
4.53%
35 IBU

Too much hallertau hops? Too much biscuit malt?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance!
:mug:

Cant really comment on whether that is too much biscuit or not but I think your not too far off from 10% to worry about it. I have used biscuit before at like 8oz in 5gals and I cant say I got any biscuit flavors or aromas. I do mash all my grains together so that might be part of it.

I just recently did a 10gal batch of beer that used a couple ounces of hallertau hops toward the end of the boil and got plenty of hop aroma and flavor. When I tasted the hydro sample as i was kegging the first thought I had was this tastes like a St Pauli girl. It had been a long time since I had one so that might not be a true statement any more.

This was my hops schedule for 10gals
1oz perl 60min
.5oz traditional 60min
.75oz traditional 20min
1oz hallertauer Mittelfrueh 10min
1oz hallertauer Mittelfrueh 0min with a 10min steep

Back