hi from NW metro atlanta, georgia!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indulf

Reaction score
hi everyone!

i've talked for years about getting into brewing and never bit the bullet.. my mom and dad were listening, however, and provided me with a complete set of brewing supplies for christmas this year :)

of course there are a few more odds and ends i need, but the first batch is done and has been in the fermenter for 3 days so far. i'm hooked and my kids aged 5 and 4 are really enjoying the science lesson. my wife is even interested in it!

i'm having a blast with it so far, learning lots, and am grateful for all the resources found on this forum.

it's a Big Sky Moose Drool clone. apparently the HBS where my father purchased all the gear tossed in ingredients at half price with the purchase of the kit.

it's looking good so far! tonight i'll be taking an SG reading just for curiosity. it still has a ways to go in the fermenter. i'm trying to forget about it until my calendar reminder tells me it's time to bottle, but it's hard :) i covered it up with a t-shirt and stuck it under my desk. i check the fermometer a couple of times a day but that's about it at this point..

is it safe to taste the sample i pull out for the SG reading?

A brown ale will be great for your first brew. You can certainly taste the sample. Just don't pour the remainder of the sample back into the fermentation vessel!

If it were me, I wouldn't take another gravity reading until it had been in the fermentation vessel for about two weeks. Let our yeast friends do their job undisturbed ;)

Back