Hi from Hamburg, Germany

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klettman

Reaction score
Dear fellow brewers,

I'm a cider maker from Hamburg, Germany.

I started making cider together with a friend around the 2020 harvest. My grandparents own a small apple orchard. There we picked apples, got them pressed into about 20 gallons of juice and made our first batch of cider from it. The result was enjoyable enough to keep us motivated. Fast forward: In January 2022 we're currently sitting on about 1.300 bottles of our own sparkling cider which we're planning to sell this year.

This summer I am planning to fulfull a long-postponed dream: To go on a big US road trip. Now this idea came to my mind: To plan the route along cideries and home cider makers, to taste them all and and meet great people. What do you think about this?

Happy to learn from y'all and also share some of our own little knowledge.

Malte

Hermann_Klaedtke_small-2846.jpg

Picking apples in my grandparent's orchard

A worthy quest, grasshpper, should covid allow it. You may want to start in Vermont, and Groennfell Meadery. They also do some cysers (apple honey). It's in the top NE of the US.

You're going to have to finish in Washington State, it the top NW of the US and where something like 80% of all apple juice in the US is made.

in between, it's hard to say. Basic Brewing Radio covers some cyderies in Wash DC Arkansas and elsewhere on the journey.

I know some apple growers on Bainbridge Island in Seattle.

New England is a destination and Vermont is central to the regions cidery. There are some big manufacturers but also tons of small farm heirloom orchards. I'd stick to the smaller as they are beautiful and you'd probably get to talk with the owners. I'm sure they'd love to share knowledge with someone from Europe.

Stick to the northern states as New Hampshire has a bunch and Maine is catching up. I have a ton of farms I follow on Instagram that are on my wishlist to visit.

A bunch are close to top USA breweries too 😁

Back