Hi from Germany!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne Pohl

Reaction score
I live in a small village in northern Germany not far from the North and Baltic Seas.We have an abundance of apple trees in our village which until now mostly fed the birds because nobody could harvest them. But this summer one of my neighbours bought a cider press, and we have spend many weekends making juice, and some neighbours also made hard cider or Apfelwein which tastes not bad. But my husband asked me if there wasn't a way to make cider without putting sugar, yeast and chemicals into it, and I read up, and now we're going to try to do that in a few weeks.
I have two very old trees with late apples that you can harvest until January or later. They don't taste very well when eaten directly after harvesting, but they gain with age. And the juice tastes very good without mixing it with other varieties. Martini apples they are called. I harvested some and set them aside in the barn, and I'm regularly collecting the downfall. In about two weeks or so we'll crush them and let this sit for a night, and after that we'll keeve the juice. I tested the SG on pasteurized juice today, and it was a bit low (1.040). We'll give it a go anyway. Should I smuggle in some Campden without telling my love or might this work without? If it doesn't work at all it's no big deal, I'll just pour it in the compost. Thanks.

You can always freeze concentrate the juice to get the gravity higher.

Higher gravity, more alcohol, more wine like.

Back