Hi everyone...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wankel

Reaction score
Hi all…

I live in Westminster, Maryland and work at Johns Hopkins Hospital; an ex- respiratory therapist now working in computers. Moved here from Columbia, South Carolina three years ago and love it here. I am a member of the Midnight Homebrewers League in Westminster.

I have been married for 25 years - no kids, four dogs. I love animals, especially dogs.

Hobbies are cigars, home brewing, snakeplants, watercolor painting, old movies and 50’s, 60’s tv.. I am active on Cigar Weekly where there are a lot of homebrewers… I sort of like astronomy as well, own a 10” telescope and am a member of the Westminster Astronomical Society, but astronomy is no longer the passion it used to be for me.

I got into extract brewing in the early 1980's while living in Charlottesville, Virginia after a cold wintry night during the Christmas season when I found Marvin Reese's book "Better Beer and How to Brew It" at the local library. Coincidentally, that same week, I went to a pal’s house and he had made some homebrew which I tried for the first time – loved it.

Over Christmas, I read Reese’s book and checked out getting the ingredients that Reese recommended. Discovered that Reese lived in Charlottesville and had a small homebrew shop in the rear of a gift shop that he ran. I didn't know it until later but Charlie Papazian lived right around the corner from me at the same time. At that time, I made a bunch of extract beers – using mainly Munton and Fison, John Bull, and Canadiana canned extract.

Got married in 1984 and moved to North Carolina to attend grad school. While there, I discovered the AHA and Zymurgy, got into all-grain brewing, kegging, making equipment (wort chillers, etc) and yeast culturing. After a few years, I moved to South Carolina where it was a challenge to make good beer due to the heat and the fact that most houses there have no cellars for making and cool-storing beer. Burned out on home-brewing in 2001. For two years, I brewed nothing. My current goals are KISS-based; how to make good brews without getting fanatical about the process.

I have never tried a malted barley-based beer I didn’t like with the exception of rauchbier and given enough time and rauchbier, could probably learn to like that. So far as homebrewing goes, I have always tended to make English style ales. I don’t care for wheat beers or fruity beers.

Welcome :mug:

I don't care much for wheat beers or fruity beers either.

Latest posts

Back