Hi All

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheelbrew

Reaction score
Well, Im in NC (Charlotte area) and just started my first brew. Everything seems to be going fine. I started with a kit to make a german kolsch. I did NOT take a reading for my starting gravity. Am I supposed to do this before or after I pitch my yeast? And is determining ABV the only reason to do this? I have alot more questions but I'll hold off for now. WOW this is addicting!!!

Welcome to HBT and the hobby (obsession)! :mug:

You want to take your reading after you have cooled your wort, but before you pitch. The alcohol percentage is one reason to do this but the other is so you'll know for sure when fermentation is complete. That said many people don't bother and as long as you are patient and allow fermentation to finish you won't get bottle bombs.

You can help with the patience by starting your next batch. ;)

Thanks! I am already thinking of what to brew next. My Kolsch has been bubbling for two days now. If I add sugar(or honey ect) when I rack, will this increase alcohol or just add flavor or mess it all up?

Adding fermentables when you rack will increase the ABV, no doubt. But depending on the sugar it will also change the flavour of the beer. Since it is a kit I assume you were looking for something in particular. That said it's your beer so go nuts. :)

FYI - honey takes a LONG time to ferment completely. If you want a beer with lots of great flavour you could try a wit or a hefeweizen. There are lots of great recipes around for those. If you like a nice malty beer you could try an oktoberfest recipe. It's technically a lager but I make them with a nice neutral ale yeast and they turn out great.

Alright. No honey in this one. I cant wait that long for my first one. Think maybe I'll just rack it and wait, bottle it and wait. Guess I can tweek it after I know what I'm working with. Thanks alot for your info.

No worries. I think kolsch is supposed to condition for a quite a while anyway. I've never made one though so take that with a grain of salt. But at least once the primary is free you can start a new one. If you want something with a quick turn around I'd definitely recommend a hefeweizen. I usually do 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks in the bottle and consume! :mug:

Sorry for no updates, been too drunk to type. My first batch of kolsch was a HUGE suxcess. The weekend before last I had one and almost died. It was maybe the best beer I ever drank. I invited the boys over for a poker night (beer on me) and everyone loved it. All but a couple of bottles were consumed that night. Yeah me!!!!

tarheelbrew said:
Sorry for no updates, been too drunk to type. My first batch of kolsch was a HUGE suxcess. The weekend before last I had one and almost died. It was maybe the best beer I ever drank. I invited the boys over for a poker night (beer on me) and everyone loved it. All but a couple of bottles were consumed that night. Yeah me!!!!
Congrats! :mug:

I used a poker game to taste test my first batch too. :) It was the best beer I had ever had as well (in fact pretty much every batch since has been the best beer I've ever had :D).

Got a barleywine I am fixin to bottle and getting another batch of the kolsch this weekend when I pick up my yeast for the mead I'm starting this weekend. Thanks brad, just wished I had kept better records on the first.

Back