HHmmm..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stew!Brew!

Reaction score
When you guys are waiting for kegged beer to carbonate(using priming sugar) do you leave it out of the kegerator?, in the kegerator?, or in the kegerator hooked up to co2 at normal serving pressure? I usually leave it in the keggerator while hooked up to co2, not for any reason just because I do, and also I seem to have a bit of a problem keeping pressure inside without the hoses being connected.

Keeping pressure is a problem with some kegs that do not seal well. The o'rings and valves have to seal 100% or all bets are off. I rack to the kegs and then put CO2 on them (10 LBS) and check for leaks by turning upside down to see if anything comes out.

Conditioning beer:
It is best to let ales sit at 65 to 70 degrees F for 2 weeks or longer before lowering them to serving temperature and putting them on a constant pressure of CO2. This lets the ale yeast be able to work on the beer because this is the temperature range they work best at. If you go right to 36 to 38 F the yeast stops working to clean up the beer because they are too cold.

+1 on the temp. you have to give it a chance to do it's job and it won't happen at fridge temp. If you were force carbing that is a different story but for priming you want it at room temp or the yeast will die.

Like WBC said, throw 10+ psi on the keg to check for leaks and let the orings seal. Tip it upside down to check for leaks and if you're good you can bleed pressure and let it prime!

Back