Hey!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crawdaddy

Reaction score
So it's been 3 weeks today. Cider hasn't been bubbling in about a week visually and nothing in the airlock. So I assume it's dry. So I bottled it in wine bottles and corked it today, I added About 3/4 of a tablespoon of splenda to each after reading it would be okay if it was only left for a bit.

My main question here is do I have to worry about bottle bombs? Should I pasturize them just in case?

Splenda is non-fermentable, so you don't have to worry about that.

Did you take a gravity reading? I have a cider going that is almost 4 weeks. It's in a clear gallon jug, and I can still see lots of activity (lots of bubbles rising to the surface), and the occasional bubble in the airlock. I would be more concerned about possibly having bottled too early.

Phew, I was thinking splenda was non fermentable but I saw in the ingredients list in it is dextrose, anything I should worry about there?

and no, I misplaced my hydrometer somewhere in this mess.

I had racked it once in that time and all seemed good, and the past 4 or 5 days nothing not even a single bubble rising to the top. My cider had 2 cups of sugar and a full packet of yeast (was experimenting). and was stored at a good temperature.

Everything looks fine in 5 out of 6 bottles but in 1 bottle there seems to be some bubbles at the top but none actually rising to it. Is this normal?

Was it regular splenda, 'splenda for baking', or from packets? Baking splenda and packets are mixed with dextrose, and thus are fermentable, so if it is you should probably pasteurize them. If it's normal splenda from the box/bag, you're fine.

you corked with regular (still) wine corks? the worst that can happen is the corks launch.

Latest posts

Back