Hey! This tastes...malty!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
My wife went to Costco the other day and picked up a box of Nature Valley Fruit and Nut bars. They're mostly for our two year old, but I've eaten a few. After I had the first one I couldn't help but think, "I think there's malt in this." I looked at the torn up wrapper and sure enough, the second ingredient, after whole grain oats was high maltose corn syrup. Part of the ingredients for the puffed rice in it included malt extract, and there was even some rice maltodextrin in there. My palate was right! :p

Anyone else notice that after a day of brewing, you can REALLY discern the flavors of a beer? Seems to me, after smelling all that boiling wort and hops, that everything is more pronounced...the hops are hoppier, the malt is maltier, and the flavor is...mmmmmmmmmmm BEER!

Congrats, Brewsmith, on a well educated palate!

It's not hiding much in those granola bars. It was sweet, but you could definately taste malt.

Back