Hey New Guy 1st brew nightmare

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingHippo

Part Time Brewer
Reaction score
My name is Bryan, total newbie, just brewed my first batch yesterday. I was
real excited and felt everything was going well until it was time to cool my wort. I dump my 2gal brewpot straight into my fementing bucket then filled the rest up with cold spring water. Sat in a ice bath in the sink for well over an hour. I was pretty bummed about the cooling time then i finally pitched the yeast snapped on the lid on and jammed my airlock in the top of the the bucket. I must have pushed to hard and the rubber gasket fell in my fementing bucket to the bottom. I was pissed. I tried to fish it out with my
only spoon that isn't long enough to reach the bottom of my bucket,so i had to dip my fingers in enough to reach the gasket with the spoon.
I still had fun but i feel the beer will have an infection!
has this ever happened to anyone else? :mug:
bryan

Welcome Bryan!
You would be amazed at how many people find HBT for the "grommet in the bucket" reason.
First thing is that it is much better to cool your hot wort in the metal pan. It transfers the heat much easier than the plastic bucket.
Next on your list is the grommet. Buy an extra grommet; this ensure it will never fall in again. Always put the airlock in before you put your lid on so you don't push it through.
The main thing is RELAX. It's really hard to mess up beer!

No worries, I dropped my thermometer clip into my first batch, had to do the same thing, fetch it out with a spoon that wasn't long enough, dipped my fingers in the same way, mine turned out fine, I'm sure yours will too.

Remember what Nurmey said, RELAX! (RDWHAHB) it's really hard to screw up a brew

One of my early brews (circa 1994 or so) ended up with a cat whisker in the fermenter.

Turned out great, and we named it "Whisker Weiss".

RDWHAHB, and welcome.

Back