Hey Guys...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bygracealone

Reaction score
My name is Steve, I live in Riva, MD which is just outside of Annapolis.

I've always had great respect for those who homebrew and always wanted to try it myself. Recently, I came across a good deal on a beginner kit, so I bought one from my local shop. I upgraded the kit, but chose not to go with the two stage version. I hope to go straight to keg with my first batch.

I bought the kit along with the ingredients to produce a Fat Tire wannabe, purchased a 32 quart aluminum stock pot, and one of those popular compact fridges by Frigidaire that I plan to turn into a kegerator once I receive my equipment from Kegconnection.

I'm a total noobie and quite intimidated by the whole process, but I enjoy beer and plan on keeping up with this hobby for the rest of my life. I have much to learn and I'm very thankful for the mass amount of information on this site.

I plan on watching a few videos before beginning the process. Hopefully I'll start my first batch next week.

Cheers!

Steve

Welcome to HBT Steve!

Sounds like you're in it for the long haul. That's perfect, and you are correct about this site. Many experienced brewers, DIY guys. You'll find many good people in this place and find it is much more than just a brewing site. I feel myself going into rant mode about how great this place is...so will just say

Welcome aboard! Look forward to following and maybe helping with your brewing journey.

Cheers!

Dan

Glad to see another lifer join the group. I think you're going to have a great time here. I know I have. This crazy bunch is probably the only reason my first few batches turned out well enough to keep me interested in the hobby. Welcome!

Thanks for the warm welcome Dan and Nuke!

I look forward to embarking upon the journey and I find great comfort knowing that so many others who have already walked these paths are there to help freshman like me :)

I assume your first batch is an extract kit? If so, you can't really go too wrong with it. The biggest thing when you're just starting out is being patient. It can be hard to wait 3 to 6 weeks for your beer to finish if you don't have a supply-chain going. Also, make sure you set aside pretty much an entire afternoon for your brew days. Between prep work, cleaning, brewing, and cleaning again you will spend a pretty good chunk of time.

Fortunately, nothing beats that first glass of beer that you've brewed yourself and that (probably) beats most bigs right out of the gate.

Congratulations and welcome to the 2nd oldest hobby on the planet.

Thanks for the note MuddyCreek. Yep, first batch will be an extract kit. I've had it in my possession for about two weeks now and still haven't been able to brew it up yet. I keep reading and reading to make sure I understand each step. Every day that I read on this forum, I learn something new, which sometimes gives me even more pause before proceeding. Most recently, I realized that my basement might not be cold enough to ferment as nicely as it could (ambient temp is 75)... After some correspondence with the folks at Wyeast, I'll go ahead and give it a try anyway.

In the meantime, I've been shopping for a Johnson temp controller for a small freezer I have where I hope to ferment my second batch. I found one on Ebay that I just bought. But, like a knucklehead, I bought the wrong one (24v--I didn't realize there were different models of the A419)! So now I'll have to get the right one and try to sell the other... Always something... :)

Anyway, I'm hoping to brew my first batch on Monday and may try to brew a second batch the following Monday so that I'll have enough brew to fill both kegs for the two keg kegerator I'll be building as soon as my parts arrive on Tuesday of next week.

Back