Hey guys just starting out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smiff78

Reaction score
I have just got myself a starter kit with a coopers cervaza.seem to have every thing i need in my kit even a 1kg of dextrose but theres no hole in my lid and no airlock in the kit??!! So when i start fermentation will it not blow my lid off my brewing bin??? :/

Shouldn't be any need for an airlock in a cooper's DIY fermenter. The lid/krausen kollar seems to float up and down enough to let the pressure out. Mine has never spilt out or blown its top.

Its not a coopers branded starter kit, its just one my local store put together i.e plain/regular fermentor random brewing gear ect. Is that still ok

The DIY Coopers kit is a clear plastic container with a spigot and a domed lid. If they gave you a 6 gallon bucket with a lid that doesn't have a drilled hole in the top it will most certainly blow off. The Coopers kit is similiar to the Mr. Beer kit in the fact that there are small grooves that allow CO2 to escape. It isn't a tight seal like the brew buckets are. Swing back to your LHBS and I'm sure they will get you the proper equipment.

I would try to get a bucket with lid,but if you are really itching to brew you could just set the lid on top and not snap it on.How big is the bucket?

You could also drill a hole in the lid and put a hose in it for a blow off and pick up a grommet and airlock later.

Its a 23 litre fermentor. Gonna have to drill a hole and fit a air lock cheers guys :)

Been busy at work and not had time to buy a airlock. So... Going to try a blow off tube with the end in a jug of weak sanitizer solution.

....or could i coil my bottling hose up secure it together, put a little bit of sanitizer in it and use that as a home made airlock??

Your bottling hose would work, but you definitely want a container of sanitizer or cheap vodka on the end. A jar, bucket, gallon jug, whatever. The pressure will clear out your hose in no time if you don't.

Back