Hey guys. I'm back.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gauthierk

Reaction score
What's up fellow brewers. It's been a while but I'm back in brewing business. Looking forward to spending lots of time on here going through the forums and trying to help out the noobs. I have an extensive background in microbiology and love to tamper and toy with yeast blends. Happy brewing and cheers all!!!

Sweet welcome back!

I could use the search bar but lets put you to work right away! What are two good yeasts to blend to get the cleanliness and attenuation of sa05 but still have decent flocculation?

Thanks for the welcome back.. I'm looking forward to getting back into the game here..

BoBeer, I have found a great trick to clarity and Lagers.. I have been doing what I call a forced attenuated two stage fermentation.. I blend a lager yeast with a scottish ale yeast. I pitch it while the mash is in the 40 degree range and wait for signs of fermentation.. Once it starts, I increase the temp of the primary 4 degrees every day until I get it up to about 72.. I let it remainin there till I hit the final gravity I'm looking for.. EXCELLENT results. The Scottish aie yeast take over the fermentation about the halfway point and the lager yeast don't compete well above the 60 mark.. I was very fortunate to have a micro department head at college who was a beer fan. I could use the lab for experiments so long as I allowed him to sample the final products.. :)

It's been awhile since I have actually gone into brewing full on.. I have made a batch here and there but for the most part, my kids use my brewing equipment to built castles and play hide and go seek...

I typically keep about 4 culture active in my fridge. I use a 10ml syringe and pull 10 from the lager then ten from the ale. That goes into a sanitized shot glass. When they reach room temp, I pitch that into the mash. I've gotten pretty good at being able to freeze my cultures for longevity.

Back