HERMS users, how to return wort in mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goingmad

Reaction score
I've seen someone with the silicon hose laying on the false bottom, others returning the wort simply from the top side of the kettle.

Which is the best choice? Since the wort is supposed to be filtered from the grain bed while ricirculating in the HLT, I'd think to choose the from-the-top option.

Am I right?

can someone satisfied with his/her choice post an image of the acual setup?

thanks, cheers

gm

i have silicon hose laying on top of the grain bed. 90%+ efficiency with this method. In my opinion, any more complicated sparge method is overkill.

Outstanding efficiency!

I'm going to try in this way...

Thanks for your help!

I also do the silicon hose on top of grain bed method. I use a coleman cooler for the tun and I try to keep the return hose on the far end from the outlet so the warmer wort has time to mix in before being recirculated again.

I don't have a photo handy, but I think you can picture it. I have loc-line from the middle of the lid (Igloo cooler) that is bendable and can move where I want it. The top of the lid has the connections for the tubing from my pump.

No holes in the tube. It just lays on the top of the grain and the water gently exits the tube.

A lot of people use the simple silicone hose idea with great results, but depending on how fancy your system is checkout the locline. It's a lot more classy.

+1 on the locline. I like the fact that you can position it as needed. Mine comes in from the lid of my igloo MT.

image-4267457636.jpg

image-3161257355.jpg

I use a siphon sprayer for mash recirculation and for sparge. I submerge the tip right below the liquid level above the grain bed during recirculation and rise up to top for sparge. I like the Loc Line but seems more likely to clog with small grain particles and harder to clean. I recirculate slow and still get good dispersion over the top of the grain bed with no channeling. I tried the silicone tube on a plate my first couple brews but channeling became an issue. Since I switched to the siphon sprayer I’m not looking back. 30 plus brews with it and No problems. Highly recommend and cheap.

DSCN7168.JPG

Back