HERMS tech question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamj

Reaction score
I recently purchased a RIMS-HERMS system from a friend and I am having difficulty with recirculating in my mash tun. I am continually getting large airpockets in the line and I have to contantly turn the pumps on and off in order to try and get a good consistant recirc going. The problem seems to ease up a bit once the grain bed is set.

My friend thinks that if I cut a few slots in the dip tube it would allow the water to cycle through better and that it may be too close to the bottom of the keggle and easily clogged with fine particles.

any help would be greatly appreciated. This seems to be the only issue with the system. I am hitting my target effeciencies and target gravities just fine. Beer is coming out great.

Thanks again.
Adam

I finally figured out with my pump in HERMS that you have to"prime" the lines and pump. Use a turkey baster to fill the lines up first, then run system to purge all the air out and warm up to dough in. Then add grains after system is running right.

After I mash in I usually vorlauf until the grain bed sets. Then I hook my hose back up open the valve slowly and let the pump head prime.. Then open the valve all the way and have the outlet on the pump open slightly. Never had an issue..
Might want to check the orientation of your pump head..Or if your false bottom is collapsing..

I agree there's no substitute for letting the grain bed settle for 5 minutes, then vorlauf until the runoff is clear.
I use a second drain valve after the pump to just runoff into a bucket with pump off, when it runs clear start the pump/switch valves to recirculate.
This made all the difference for me, irrespective of what goes on with your false bottom/pickup. You have to allow the grain bed to settle and runoff to be clear or you won't get clean flow and will have air pockets and troubles.
Good luck!

Back