Herms / Single Tier plumbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

instinct2

Reaction score
I have a 15 gallon Stout Tank System with Herms. I've been searching for hours looking for a simple diagram to read with plumbing a single tier system and where valves need to be installed (welder is ready to start building the stand, but holding off until I know what I want). Most of the diagrams are very elaborate and showing complete automation, which is making it harder to understand or digest the info... for a newb in single tier herms.

What I have:
1) 2 x center SS chugger pumps
2) No burner under the Mash Tun (thought is to pump mash water from BK)
3) Duda Diesel Wort Chiller
4) Have not decided if I want completely hard plumbed, partial hard plumb with HT hoses or all HT hoses. Thoughts?
5) Not sure where I want the pumps located (middle or outside or ?) Thoughts?

Any thoughts, diagrams, pictures, or etc. please!

I have a HERMS system similar to Kal's and love it. Did you check out his site?

http://theelectricbrewery.com/brew-day-step-by-step?page=6

I know you're not going electric but you could probably get a few good ideas.

Cheers!

image-4013208938.jpg

I have a HERMS system similar to Kal's as well, but use the automation provided by a BCS460 to control pumps, PID loops for temp control, etc.

I'd recommend going with soft-lines until you establish connectivity and brewday practices that are reliable. then you'll know that hardlining will work. You might also consider a diverter panel, which would allow quick switching across vessels, pumps. Pretty much what the big boys do.

Good luck!

GMB.jpg

Thanks for the help! Forgot about the electric brewery. Why are the hoses so long? Assume it's to reach across to different locations...?

Latest posts

Back