Here's my cream ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitesheperd

Reaction score
So here is my cream ale recipe I did last night

CREAM ALE - 5 GALLON BATCH

SPECIALTY GRAINS(CRUSHED) - Steeped 20 minutes
1/4 Lb Marisotter grains 1/4 lb
3/4 Lb Gambrinus honey malt

EXTRACT
5 Lb of DME

HOPS
1 oz cluster hops - Boiled 60 minutes

YEAST
Yeast - Safale US-05 Ale yeast

Temp sitting at 67 degrees

OG 1.060

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402159703.621419.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How does this sound guys? Turn out good?

Some initial thoughts:

1) Maris Otter is a base malt and needs to be mashed (held at 145-160 for around an hour) to get anything from it.

2) Honey malt should also be mashed.

3) That is a LOT of honey malt, and unless you are familiar with it I would have suggested less.

4) Cream ale usually has an adjunct in some form as part of the recipe (flaked maize, corn sugar, even popcorn and Minute rice).

5) This thread may be better suited for the Recipes and Ingredients forum so others could provide feedback. The Recipe database is for recipes that have already been refined.

This recipe is almost exactly the one from northern brewer cream ale kit. Except instead of 6 Lb of LME I used 5 Lb of DME and instead of Belgian biscuit I used Maris otter..

I'm not trying to put your recipe down or anything, I was just letting you know what I saw initially. You may have gotten some conversion from the MO and the honey malt, depending on the temp and volume of your steeping water. They are both grains that should be mashed, though. And with respect to adjuncts, if you check the BJCP guidelines for the style you will see what I mean.

All that aside, I hope your beer is great. What kind of extract did you use?

I used light DME. BSG brand I think? But yeah I hope it turns out good also, if not hey error error fix (;

Well my local home brewer said this is what he had done and it came out great... Lol I'm new at brewing and he had me eat the grain first.. He grabbed in the bag and took. A handful an put it in his mouth and sai here try it and see if u like it.. Idid and wow defently a different taste lol

Back