Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airdog_47

Reaction score
I am having bad luck on my last 2 batches of mead. I have been using Wyeast Sweet Mead and white labs sweet mead yeast. They were made Feb 16th. I moved to secondary 2 weeks ago. No signs of infection. But wow a fusel alcohol smell and taste. They have been in a unused bathroom in basement set to around 68 -70 during this winter spell. Am I too warm at that temp. Or is just too young of a mead at this time. I have had one good batch with no fusel taste in the last three.

Absolutely. Unless you made the batch with 1.5 lbs per gallon of honey or less. So your ferment will be at a higher temp than what the room temp is as yeast creates heat when it's fermenting (maybe a few degrees). So 73 doesn't sound too bad but I dont have experience with those yeasts.

But yeah, you need to age those at least another 4-5 months. You'll have a better mead and you'll thank yourself later the longer you wait.

Checking out yeast temps. They show 65-75 recommended range. I never remember seeing my carboy sticky temp typically at 68. I check all my fermentation daily before work.

my only thought is to start staggered nutrients, none of my recipe s have recommended it yet.

probably a poor yeast choice... I've never heard of anyone actually using 'mead' yeasts.

I've heard of people using them... Successfully is another story. They're known for being pretty anal and sticking. Do you have starting / current gravity, that will determine if SNA will still be useful or not.

I've heard of people using them... Successfully is another story. They're known for being pretty anal and sticking. Do you have starting / current gravity, that will determine if SNA will still be useful or not.
Whereas I've read of plenty of people using them successfully - with only the Wyeast sweet mead (4184 I think it is) being problematic. I certainly wouldn't bother with it again.....

Whereas I've read of plenty of people using them successfully - with only the Wyeast sweet mead (4184 I think it is) being problematic. I certainly wouldn't bother with it again.....

true, And I guess we can really say this about ANY yeast. A mead without some kind of nutrients is prone to sticking anyways.

Latest posts

Back