help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSimpsonbeer

Reaction score
i poured ice into my formrnter and when i poured my wort in the temp was 40 degrees f it has been 8 hours and my wort is at 63 dergees is it safe to pitch my yeast now or can i wait untill its 75 degrees which will be at about the 12 to 15 hour mark? it is ok to leave my wort in the formenter for this long before i pitch the yeast or is it ok to pitch it now?

I try to pitch between 60 and 68 depending on the yeast strain for ales (lower for lager). So, unless you are making a Belgian, pitch it now.

You can definitely pitch now. My last 15 batches I've been pitching cold yeast (starter). No problems at all.

or can i wait untill its 75 degrees which will be at about the 12 to 15 hour mark?

you should almost never pitch at 75F, and unless this is belgian, wheat, or saison, I wouldn't recommend letting it get that hot during fermentation. 63F is perfect

thanks everyone!! i pitched it at 70 degrees hope it turns out good it took a full 20 hours to warm up but from what everones saying that shouldnt be a problem and the yeast is safale us 05. im still a noob this is my third batch everyone on this site has been very helpful to me and has given me more confidence to keep brewing and keep my worries at bay thanks for all the help!!!!!

thanks everyone!! i pitched it at 70 degrees hope it turns out good it took a full 20 hours to warm up but from what everones saying that shouldnt be a problem and the yeast is safale us 05. im still a noob this is my third batch everyone on this site has been very helpful to me and has given me more confidence to keep brewing and keep my worries at bay thanks for all the help!!!!!

Ok, but now you have to cool it down a bit, in my opinion! 70 degrees is ok, but the temperature will probably rise when fermentation starts and ideally you'd stay under 70 degrees!

S05 can go up to about 72 degrees and be fine, but I like it better in the mid 60s. Since fermentation itself produces heat, it's actually harder to keep it cool than to warm it up.

Next time, don't go 20 hours without the yeast! Add the yeast, and then let the temperature rise to your optimum fermentation temperature.

alright i will thanks for the advice.. one more question i used lme this time and had only used dme before when i cleaned my boiling pot it looked like some of the lme actually burned to the bottom of the pot how bad is this for my wort?

LME when boiled too aggressively/long will darken the beer and you will have some caramel-like notes to the beer. But if it truly "burned" (as in charred), you may also have some of that burnt flavor in the beer as well, unfortunately. But, don't worry about it. There's nothing you can do about it at this point and it could end up tasting really great.

Back