Help - (yeast ruined?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danhercules

Reaction score
I runied my yeast. Just finishing boil. will I be ok if I put it in fermenter with no yeast and buy more tomorrow and pitch it? do i put it in the fridge? room temp? Am I screwed?

If you are asking if your wort will be ok without pitching until tomorrow, that will probably be all right. Fridge always slows growth, but won't prevent contamination. If you are worried, I would recommend bringing it back up to 165º F, then letting it cool again when you are finally ready to pitch.

your yeast may not be ruined, what happened? we've all made mistakes so we've probably done what you did.

I forgot to put the yeast out when I started brewing. So, 30 min before ready to pitch I realized it I warmed up the oven to "pre warm" the yeast and………….lets just say its done.

My fermenter is fuller sanitized. Its currently under water with sanitizer.

When my wort is cool, I am gonna put it in my fermentation bucket, so do I leave at room temp, put in fridge? reheat wart tomrrow before I pitch? I can get new yeast at 10 am tomorrow.

If everything is sanitized I'd put it in the bucket and not worry about it, pitch tomorrow. I usually let my wort sit in my ferm chamber overnight to get stabilized to the temp I want it, I oxygenate and pitch in the morning. Never had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

yeah dude no worries about pitching the next day. however...

i absolutely laughed out loud at putting the yeast in the oven to "pre-warm" it - because it's something i TOTALLY would have done when i first started brewing. cheers, man. the beer will be fine.

I normally use the yeast in the tubes. This was a packet and had to break a inner pouch. The oven melted the pouch and it was empty. LOL. I feel sooo dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So,

I got two more packages of yeast and pitched it and its bubbleing like CRAZY!!!

I think we gonna be good!!

this is certainly a unique situation but it sounds like you got a fermentation going.

I think you would have been better pitching the yeast "cold", no need to pre-warm.

Yeast, in my experience, get pretty happy when introduced to a warmer environment. It "tells them" that there is food available and that they should get ready for a feast.

When yeast get active (start eating) they produce heat. In nature this sends signals to the dormant yeast near them that there is food available...that they should stop being dormant and get active.

tl;dr yeast love a warming trend

Back