HELP! Worried bucket is about to blow.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlamato

Reaction score
I am making a high gravity (1.098 OG) Belgian using WLP530. I pitched the yeast about 24 hours ago, and was getting really worried because I saw almost no fermenter activity. I leave for about an hour to lookupon how to fix a stuck fermentation, and when I come back it is going crazy. I have a blowoff tube, but am worried it might be small (the tube fits inside the airlock) and that it is going to clog. It is currently sounding like there is a wheezing noise coming from it.

Should I open it up or try to clean the tubes, or am I worrying too much? Seriously, this came out of nowhere, and I am worried it is going to blow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pics

Prepare a new batch of sanitized liquid. Remove the tube from the old liquid. Press on the lid of your fermenter a couple times to ventilate and verify you have no clogs. Place the tube end in the new batch of liquid. Then drink beer and pat yourself on the back, you've earned it!

Edit: If you're really that worried, just pull the thing out and replace with a fresh hose.

Just take the airlock off and put a wet washcloth on top of the hole. Seriously. When it calms back down, then put the airlock back in again.

Is there CO2 bubbling into your bucket? If there is the tube isn't blocked. Is the lid on the bucket being pushed upward? If it isn't the tube is handling all the pressure.
This doesn't mean the tube can't get blocked though with a vigorous fermentation going on. Cooling the wort can slow the fermentation. Is the wort temperature between 66°F and 72°F? 72° is the top end of the temperature range for this yeast.
The blow off tube could be removed, but a mess would be created. The krausen could be allowed to ooze out from under plastic wrap that is loosely taped over the fitting for the air lock. Having the bucket in a bathtub or shower would help minimize clean up.

Just take the airlock off and put a wet washcloth on top of the hole. Seriously. When it calms back down, then put the airlock back in again.

If I take off the airlock, won't the krousen go everywhere? Or should I just live with the mess?

Just noticed you had included pictures. Move the jug down to the floor of the shower. Up high you have a possible set up for suck back into your fermentor with a temperature or pressure change.

Is there CO2 bubbling into your bucket? If there is the tube isn't blocked. Is the lid on the bucket being pushed upward? If it isn't the tube is handling all the pressure.
This doesn't mean the tube can't get blocked though with a vigorous fermentation going on. Cooling the wort can slow the fermentation. Is the wort temperature between 66°F and 72°F? 72° is the top end of the temperature range for this yeast.
The blow off tube could be removed, but a mess would be created. The krausen could be allowed to ooze out from under plastic wrap that is loosely taped over the fitting for the air lock. Having the bucket in a bathtub or shower would help minimize clean up.

CO2 is bubbling into the bucket occasionally. The lid is firm, so I am thinking it is being pushed upward. Plus, if I press gently on the lid, it doesn't give. When I give it a bit more force, a big bubble goes through the hose. Makes me think that it is taking a lot of force to get through the airlock/tube.

Right now the bucket is in a chest freezer, so I could just let it get a little messy, but I'd rather not. Still, it's better than a big mess and a wasted beer. Any other suggestions on what I can do? It's pretty late here and I'd hate to stay up all night cleaning tubes.

Open fermentation is an option. Take off the lid and put a big ol' layer of aluminum foil over it. Don't drop anything in. Spray sanitize first. Loosely close it around the sides of the bucket. In a day or two, place the lid and airlock back on.

Only take a minute or two.

You could loosen the lid on one side and let the krausen flow down the side for the night. Or after releasing the pressure, by loosening the lid, remove the blow off tube and air lock grommet to create a larger diameter hole. The lid could be retightened later.
A larger tube could be put in the hole in the lid without the airlock grommet, if you have one.

If I take off the airlock, won't the krousen go everywhere? Or should I just live with the mess?

Put a wet cloth on top of it, it will mostly contain it. After it calms down, clean up with paper towels and reinstall the airlock.

Been there, done that when trying to fortify my cider a few times ;-)

After swapping airlocks and tubes a couple of times, I decided to remove the lid and cover it with sanitized aluminum foil. Here's to hoping that it survives this ordeal.

Then cut the little "x" from the airlock, and you shouldn't have issues with clogging

I think it's going to be fine, as long as your temperature is within range. You can go back to the airlock after the ferment calms down. :mug:

I use a small washcloth soaked (but not "dripping") with Starsan, rather than plain water. I use the same when cold crashing to prevent suck back.

Back