Help with used SV9501M2528 smart valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vince805

Reaction score
So I purchased a couple used SV9501M2528 valves on ebay.

I received them yesterday and as expected they didn't come with everything a new valve would.

Here are the valves I got:
WoKz1xv.jpg

jtKdclg.jpg

So I know I need to purchase the LP conversion kit but I also need the control cable harness. Does anybody know where I could find that?

Also in pictures (like below) of a new valve there is a brass looking nut that isn't on mine. Do I need that also?
czsF5IC.jpg

Look for a 4 pin molex cable online or you can scrap one from an old computer power supply. There should be a sticker on the valve stating if it has been converted to propane if not you'll need the conversion kit. If you purchase the pilot light assembly be sure to get the propane orifice as well. You'll need a 24V step down transformer to power the valve too. I used one of these valves on my rig.

Look for a 4 pin molex cable online or you can scrap one from an old computer power supply. There should be a sticker on the valve stating if it has been converted to propane if not you'll need the conversion kit. If you purchase the pilot light assembly be sure to get the propane orifice as well. You'll need a 24V step down transformer to power the valve too. I used one of these valves on my rig.

Thanks for the tip of using the connectors from computer power supplies. That made the cables a lot easier to find!

There are no stickers on these so I am assuming they are no converted to propane so I will buy the conversion kit for each.

Pilot light assembly... I was planning on using this:
Q3400A1024
q3400a1024-1.jpg

Is this the same as you mentioned "pilot light assembly" where I would need to get an additional orifice?

Edit: So I just realized that is the wrong type of igniter for this valve.

I will be using a kit from ebrewsupply which includes the 24v to power these valves.

Thank you very much for your help

Watch EBay for some used pilot lights. What you have there is just the igniter, you'll still need the actual pilot and pilot tubing. I found a local place that had the conversion kit, orifice and igniter (I broke the first one- be careful) for cheap. It's basically the supplier for all the A/C and heat repairmen- call one and see where they get their supplies.

Watch EBay for some used pilot lights. What you have there is just the igniter, you'll still need the actual pilot and pilot tubing. I found a local place that had the conversion kit, orifice and igniter (I broke the first one- be careful) for cheap. It's basically the supplier for all the A/C and heat repairmen- call one and see where they get their supplies.

I'll look around.

At first I thought I just needed the igniter because that is how my blichmann tower of power system works. Just an igniter, no pilot. It uses an asco valve though.

The valve wouldn't work without the pilot. When it is powered it will start the igniter, open gas to the pilot and if it doesn't sense any flame then it will shut off. If it does sense flame then it will open the valve to provide gas to the burner itself. I think on me if the wind blew out the pilot light it would close the valve too.

The valve wouldn't work without the pilot. When it is powered it will start the igniter, open gas to the pilot and if it doesn't sense any flame then it will shut off. If it does sense flame then it will open the valve to provide gas to the burner itself. I think on me if the wind blew out the pilot light it would close the valve too.

Thank you, That is a good explanation. Sounds like a safety thing. I wonder why the blichmann doesn't use a pilot.

Back