Help with this recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Councilman

Reaction score
On election day, Nov. 8, I am planning on brewing a "Victory Ale" to celebrate. :drunk:
Not a clone of any of "Victory"'s brews, but my own recipe using victory malt.

1 lb Victory malt (steeped)
4 lb Amber extract
4 lb light extract
1 oz Fuggles hops (60 min in boil)
1 1/2 oz Willamette hops (at flameout)
1 tsp Irish Moss
Wyeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat

I'm shooting for a hoppy taste that will also let the victory malt be tasted.
I am considering dry hopping also with Willamette, Fuggles, or Cascade
The only ingredient that I have in inventory are the Willamette hop pellets.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

P.S. I just noticed my sig says "Victory IPA." I am re-thinking the IPA route so I can share this brew with more folks. ;)

I'm away from my comp with Promash on it, so I don't know where you'll be as far as gravity. I think it looks OK, though. I've read that Victory is just one maltster's (Breiss?) name for biscuit malt. It'll impart a bready flavor, kinda like crackers. I don't think a pound is overboard, but probably in the upper limits.

I think the yeast choice is an odd one, though. Have you ever used a German wheat yeast before? Personally, I'd go with a British strain, or a good clean American ale strain. This might also be a good candidate for a California common yeast, if you like Anchor Steam.

Looks good! Although, I'm curious how you decided on the yeast. Personally, I would go with an ale yeast. But, hell - maybe you're onto something completely different here! ;) I ran this through ProMash and, assuming pellet hops with average AAUs, it comes in at 52.8 IBUs, right in the mid-low end for an American IPA. Assuming Muntons LME and a 60 minute boil, you're in the 1.079 OG ballpark, 12.7 SRM - a nice golden/light brown ale.

Good luck!

The Councilman said:
On election day, Nov. 8, I am planning on brewing a "Victory Ale" to celebrate. :drunk:
Not a clone of any of "Victory"'s brews, but my own recipe using victory malt.

1 lb Victory malt (steeped)
4 lb Amber extract
4 lb light extract
1 oz Fuggles hops (60 min in boil)
1 1/2 oz Willamette hops (at flameout)
1 tsp Irish Moss
Wyeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat

I'm shooting for a hoppy taste that will also let the victory malt be tasted.
I am considering dry hopping also with Willamette, Fuggles, or Cascade
The only ingredient that I have in inventory are the Willamette hop pellets.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

P.S. I just noticed my sig says "Victory IPA." I am re-thinking the IPA route so I can share this brew with more folks. ;)

Why that choice of yeast? This is not a Weisen recipe. Use another ale yeast. White labs WLP001 (California) or WLP028 (scottish) or even WLP060 American Ale Yeast Blend. That last one being the most appropriate for election day.

The recipe is modified from "Creamy Brown Ale" from Stephen Snyner's Brew Master's Bible. The yeast choice is from that recipe. I'm a total noobie and have only used Nottingham dry yeast, so any liquid will be new to me. I'll probably grab what ever my LHBS has, or even stick with dry. :)
Thanks for the input, folks.

The yeast is definitely an odd choice. Unless you really like banana esters, I'd stick with one of the strains recommended above.

Best of luck with it!

also.. if you want that hoppiness and an IPA flare, I'd up the hop content quite a bit. No IPA is complete unless it has $10 worth of hops in it. :D

-walker

it's hard to tell if orfy was being sarcastic or not in that short post, but *I* most definately was being sarcastic.

I was just trying to indicate that an IPA (as a style) is generally very high in hop bitterness, flavor, and aroma. You basically want to go absolutely ape sh*t with adding hops to it... the more the better.*

-walker

* = yes, there is a point where you can get too much bittering hops and have a beer that is so bitter you can't drink it, but in general... use a lot of hops for an IPA. my 'normal' beers contain 2 to 3 oz of hops. My IPAs contain 5 to 7 oz of hops.

Sorry Walker,

Sometimes I try a little humour and beng this side of the pond it gets mistaken but that last post was from suprise! (plus I just got back from the Beer fest!)

$10 for hops seemed alot.... I have hell of a lot to learn. Thanks to you guys and a few books, that's what I'm doing.

well.. that $10 quote might not be entirely inaccurate!

I'm looking at my Kaduva AIPA recipe and it seems that I put the following into it for hops:

1 oz Galena
2 oz Northern Brewer
1 oz EK Goldings
2 oz cascade (whole hops)

At a price of about $1.30/oz for the pellets and $2.25/oz for the whole hops, my hop bill came up to about $9.60.

And it's a damn fine (VERY hoppy) IPA. The hops and desire for very light DME made this one of my most expensive batches (about $30), but you have to pay sometimes to get those special flavors.

-walker

And you guys were giving me a hard time about telling a 13 year old to boil his beer. :(
NO ORFY!! You don't need a pound of hops in your IPA...IMHO of course.

Walker said:
At a price of about $1.30/oz for the pellets and $2.25/oz for the whole hops, my hop bill came up to about $9.60.
I thought you were Mr. Frugal? ;) Whole hops from Hops Direct are about $10 / lb.

We charge extra for the East Coast. Another good source is Freshops if you're a heavy hop user.

I figure 4-6 oz. in 5 gallons for a Left-Coast IPA. Went as high as 12 oz once. But even if you are a little low, you can always dry hop with 1/2 oz of Willamette or Cascades. One guy in the club loaded his beer bong with Mt. Hood, that was good!

El Pistolero said:
I thought you were Mr. Frugal? ;) Whole hops from Hops Direct are about $10 / lb.

Now he's taking loans from the kids college fund. Walker, being selfish now after the scolding we got?

Got to watch those glass houses. LOL ;)

El Pistolero said:

I learned about hopsdirect after making that one, unfortunately. I am making an order from them next month and loading up.

-walker

El Pistolero said:
NO ORFY!! You don't need a pound of hops in your IPA...IMHO of course.

How do you distiguish between a pale ale and an india pale ale, El P? I've always thought it was higer alcohol, lots more hops, longer aging... add some oak chips if you are hardcore to mimic the shipping conditions of it back in the old days....

-walker

Back