Help with stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhawkbrew

Reaction score
I'm looking for some help. I brewed up a milk stout on 2/27 (see recipe below). Starting gravity was 1.060. I checked the gravity earlier in the week and again just now and both time it was at 1.027. BeerSmith's final gravity is 1.014! I have some washed yeast in small mason jars, but they are several months old. Should I pitch them, get another packet of yeast, make a starter, help.

Also, I have it in a room in my basement with a heater set at 65. I recently uped it to 70. Fermenter thermometer (adhesive one) has read 68. I've shaken it to rouse the yeast, but no luck.\

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 68.29 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 9.76 %
0.75 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 7.32 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.88 %
0.50 oz Chinook [11.40 %] (60 min) Hops 20.1 IBU
1.00 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 9.76 %
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

BeerSmith isn't taking into account that the lactose you added gives you 7 points of unfermentable sugars. find out what the OG was without the lactose and multiply that by the expected attenuation of the yeast you used then add the 7 points back in. you will find that its going to be very close to what your gravity is now.

Back