Help with strawberry ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg83

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am brewing a whole bunch of beer for my brother in-laws wedding. A strawberry ale was requested. I've never really had great success with fruit but I'm determined to get this one right. Here's what I was thinking. Please criticize as you see fit :)

6# 2row
4# wheat
Some flaked wheat
A touch of honey malt, carapils and crystal 20
Willamette to hit around 17 ibus

Should I go all pale or marris otter and skip the wheat and just keep flaked for body?

For the strawberries i was thinking 8 pounds frozen heated to 160 to kill off an nasties and crush them up a bit with a bit of water then throw into secondary. The dilemma here is I heard it's hard to get a pronounced strawberry flavor because of the yeast activity when added. Should I add something to stop fermentation or just let it ride? Maybe keep it cool after adding?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers.

Recipe seems legit to me. I havent made a ton of fruit beer but i have made enough to comment. I think the wheat is fine. A recipe i used, just looked at, was 5 lb 6 row, 3 pounds english wheat, 1 belgian aromatic, .5 flaked, 1 caramel 10. Your recipe is right in there. 1oz Willamette 60 mins seems good number. I dont know how many ibus that is. Your strawberry plans seems awesome. 8 lbs , i think, is a massive amount. Secondary for sure and with head room i would think.

My only suggestion is what about a little dab or two of good strawberry extract at kegging/bottling?

Strawberry is a tough flavor to get in a beer. Adding fruit also means it will take a while to clear.

I haven't used their products, but fruitfast sells fruit juice concentrates. They aren't cheap, but they are sterile and you add directly to your primary after it has finished.

http://www.brownwoodacres.com/fruit-juice-concentrates/strawberry-juice-concentrate/

15 pounds in one pint! The cherry stuff is like syrup so the strawberry probably is too.

Thanks all. If I add the concentrate to taste in the keg or secondary would I need to add anything after so another fermentation doesn't start?

If you are talking about the fruit juice concentrate, I would let it ferment out or the beer would be too sweet. You could add a bit more in the keg if you want to up the flavor, but would need to keep it cold or stabilize.

As much I as I like to keep things real, I don't think using fresh or frozen strawberries will give you the desired results.

I would make a simple, clean base beer similar to a cream ale and once fermentation is near completion experiment mixing with the right amounts of a strawberry syrup such as Torani. You can find these online or at Cost Plus stores. You will be adding sugar with the syrup so keep that in mind if adding during bottling or kegging. You shouldn't need much to get the point across and adding it at the end of fermenation and allowing the remaining active yeast to attach the sugar you should be able to manage sweetness and still preserve the strawberry aroma and flavor.

Belma hops also impart some strawberry notes.

Personally I find the best "fruit" beers are more pronounced on the nose than on the palate. Given this preference I find slightly higher carbonation levels and a good head (Carapils and some wheat) help convey the fruit aroma and taste on your palate.

Congrats to the Bride and Groom!

I have a batch going right now, that is pretty close to yours.
4lb 2 row
4lb wheat
8oz caramunich

2oz Belma at flameout, let sit for 10 minutes before chilling for 15 IBUs

Then based on this thread I am chilling and carbonating. The day before the party I will juice a flat of fresh strawberries (about 10 pounds) and add the juice.

Back