Help with single starter for double batch brewday.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolly

Reaction score
I'm going to do a double brewsession next week. 5 gallons of 1.085 barleywine and 5 gallons of 1.062 oatmeal brown ale.

I have 3 vials of wlp007 english dry ale. I also have 1 2000mL flask and a stirplate. I'm confused as to how I should pitch the correct amounts in each carboy. Should I make one starter with all three vials, and pour 2/3 of it into the barleywine and 1/3 into the brown ale? Or make the first starter a for the barleywine a few days earlier with two vials, crash and decant to another container then make the starter for the brown?

I just wanna make sure I pitch the correct amounts in each carboy, and mrmalty is confusing me right now.

Next time save the money and make a starter from one vial. Yeast is my biggest cost at 7 bucks a vial.

Anyway, I'd make one 2000ml starter from one vial (plenty of cell count for that). I'd boil 2000ml of water with 1 to 1.5 cup of DME for 10 minutes (shooting for a 1.040 OG starter). It will boil down to about 1800ml. Make the starter about 36 hours prior to brewing. I'd pitch a little over half (maybe 2/3s) into the Barleywine and the rest into the Brown Ale. WLP007 is a beast and should take off very quickly. My 1000ml starter looks like cottage cheese in beer. My starter finished in less than 24 hours.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/wlp007-cottage-cheese-starter-262432/

Or you could use one vial to make a 2000ml starter for the Barleywine and pitch the other two vials into the brown. Either way you will have plenty of cell count for both batches.

Latest posts

Back