Help with Shadow of a Doubt Imperial Porter Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctdenney

Reaction score
I emailed Russian River asking for help recreating their Shadow of a Doubt Imperial Porter and Vinnie just emailed me back today! Unfortunately he didn't have a homebrew formulation for the beer but he gave me the ingredients list and some other details and I'm hoping you guys can help me turn it into a close approximation.

Grain Bill:
2-row
Crystal 75L (that's what I assume he meant by C-75)
Smoked Malt
Chocolate Molt
Aromatic Malt
Special-B malt
Honey malt
Carafa-3 Special malt

OG 1.081 (he gave it to me in Plato: 19.6)
Mash temp 153F

Hops (90 minute boil)
Bittered with Northern Brewer (apparently in interview vinnie has said they add bittering hops for 60 minutes even in a 90 minute boil so we can assume it's for 60 minutes
He said Styrian Golding in the "mid-boil" (maybe 45 minutes?) and at 15 minutes

White Labs CA Ale Yeast

I played around with these ingredients in a recipe maker and got the following formulation: Shadow of a Doubt Clone

Let me know what you guys think of the recipe I came up with or any other ideas you have. The main difference between mine and what he suggested is that my ABV is lower than the 9.5% it's supposed to be but I couldn't get that with the claimed OG.

Thanks!

Back