Help with Saison recipe using 3711 yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarguy6

Reaction score
Hi guys, I would like to brew an all grain Saison recipe and would like your input. I am not familiar with this style and unfortunately am not able to get my hands on any commercial examples. I have a starter of 3711 that I made 3 days ago. After some research I'm thinking of trying something like this:

8lb Pilsner
1lb Rye
0.5lb Munich 20l

or

7lb pilsner
2lb vienna
1lb flaked wheat

Thinking 15-20 IBU EKG at either 60 or 90min
saaz or styrian goldings (or both) at 15 and flameout

A lot of recipes I find have peppercorn, candi syrup, honey, orange etc and if possible would like to avoid things like that unless they're necessary so I can get an idea of what the yeast is like.

Thoughts?

Unless you've used rye before and know that you like it, I would go with the Vienna/wheat grain bill. Your hopping ideas seems pretty good.

There is absolutely no need for the other ingredients you mentioned. Some people like them, but the style defined loosely enough that they aren't necessary.

I brewed one last year with 3711 that turned out really good. 50%Pilsen/40%Vienna/10%Wheat Malt. About 25 IBU's with Belma & Galena.

Thanks a lot for your feedback guys! I'll go with the vienna/wheat recipe as I have limited experience with rye. Maybe I'll go 3lb vienna, 1lb wheat and 6lb pilsner.

The spices are unnecessary. The yeast is fantastic by the way, I have my first saison with 3711 conditioning right now and I could've drank the whole bucket warm and flat judging by the hydro sample. This yeast will easily take you below 1.010 if not very close to 1.000. I did mine at fairly low temperatures(for a saison) mid 60s. Had no stalling problems(what this yeast is known for) and a nice bright spicy profile with background citrus, I believe higher temps bring out the fruits more.

As for the grain bill, if you know you like rye - go for it, you won't be disappointed. If not, stick with the wheat/pils one. My next saison is going to just be 100% pils, you can do pretty much whatever you want as long as you keep it nice and light with a saison. The yeast is the star here, the malt just backs it up.

For you hops, I like to keep my IBU on the low side, that dryness will really reinforce your bitterness. Restrain you late additions, you only want to reinforce the spicy/earthy yeast character. I have however found a small dry-hop to be pleasant.

Back