Help with S-04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer_in_the_cap

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got 2 beers going with S-04 and I wonder if there's stuck fermentation or not. Both are NB extract kits, they had vigorous fermentation with blow-offs being needed for 24-36 hours. First one is the Brickwarmer Holiday Red brewed on Nov 18 and seems to be stuck or finished at 1.017 from 1.062. Second is the Dry Irish Stout brewed Dec 6 currently at 1.014 from 1.046. Ambient temp is 64 which might be a bit low. I stirred and swirled both but the gravity hasn't changed. Am I safe to bottle or is there anything I can do to move these down a few more points?

I'll be building a fermentation chamber in the new year.

Thanks and I hope everyone is having a great holiday!
NK

1.017 and 1.014 are perfectly fine FGs for those beer styles. They've probably been done for a long time, since S04 is a very fast fermentor. They both probably finished within 48 hours or so of pitching.

Don't swirl it, as you risk oxidizing the finished beer.

I usually let the beer set in primary a couple weeks, but S-04 is a very quick strain and is usually done in about 3-4 days. I just started a beer about a week ago, an Imperial Irish Red concoction that clocked in at 1.076. Haven't taken a gravity sample yet, but it sure went crazy on it.

Thanks. I think I psyched myself out with too much forum reading! I use US-05 mainly and finish with a consistent 1.011 regardless of OG so these seemed high.

s-04 does finish higher that us-05. i use s-04 a lot, and i'd expect around 1.016 for a 1.062 og. you're good on the fg's. bottle, carb, cool, and enjoy

Latest posts

Back