Help With Roggenbier Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirt_McGirt

"We got food stamps. Glad to get the food stamps."
Reaction score
It's my first time brewing with rye. SWMBO is allergic to wheat, so trying to avoid it. Looking for feedback, please...thanks!

Recipe: Roggenbier
Style: Roggenbier (German Rye Beer)
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.48 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.73 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.78 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 17.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 18.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.3 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 7.8 %
5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 39.2 %
5 lbs Rye Malted (4.7 SRM) Grain 3 39.2 %
12.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.9 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Rye Malt (250.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.9 %
8.0 oz Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.9 %
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 12.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 6.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Hefeweizen IV Ale (White Labs #WLP380) [ Yeast 9 -

Planning on BIAB Temperature step-mash w 4.5 gal. at 105, 122, and 152.
Batch/dunk sparge in cooler w/ 2.75 gal. for 15-20 min.

------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perfect! Don't change a thing. Hope you and your wife enjoy it.

Wow- thanks! I appreciate the vote of confidence. Looking forward to what others have to say, too. Not a style I've ever had before, so excited to try it out.

I have not yet made roggenbier but I make a lot of weizenbiers including those of the dunkel variety. my first attempt at a dunkelweizen was my usual (proven) hefe recipe plus .5 lb carawheat & .25 lb (4 oz.) chocolate wheat. it basically made a porter weizen.
if you like chocolate & light roasted flavors with your banana and/or clove flavors it might be for you. it wasn't for me.
if it were me, I'd omit the chocolate rye & maybe even cut back the caramunich to 8 oz. but you might love it just the way it is.

I think it looks great. I have chocolate rye in my Roggen and love it, but I also put molasses in mine, so maybe I'm just weird :) Good luck!

I have not yet made roggenbier but I make a lot of weizenbiers including those of the dunkel variety. my first attempt at a dunkelweizen was my usual (proven) hefe recipe plus .5 lb carawheat & .25 lb (4 oz.) chocolate wheat. it basically made a porter weizen.
if you like chocolate & light roasted flavors with your banana and/or clove flavors it might be for you. it wasn't for me.
if it were me, I'd omit the chocolate rye & maybe even cut back the caramunich to 8 oz. but you might love it just the way it is.

I think it looks great. I have chocolate rye in my Roggen and love it, but I also put molasses in mine, so maybe I'm just weird :) Good luck!

Thanks fellas. I'm gonna cut back the caramunich to 8oz, as suggested. I'd consider subbing out the chocolate rye for carafa or something for color, but I'm really trying to get a feel for the flavor that rye imparts - similar to what a SMaSH is for.
Fingers crossed. :beard:

Can't say I've had a Roggenbier before, but from reading the BJCP guidelines for it, you're pretty spot on. Not sure what temperature you're fermenting at but it says to stay on low side for more of the clove-like flavors.

Latest posts

Back