Help with off taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KreisFace

Reaction score
Hey All,

I recently just finished a simple IPA recipe and had a quick question. I seem to have a meaty, astringent taste in the brew. The only hops were Pacific Jade and Citra and it had a super simple malt bill. Fermented @ 69 and kept everything by the books. Has anyone had an issue with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Might need more info...AG or extract? Mash temp, hop amounts, etc....

Bitter astringent tastes can be from tannin extraction. Meaty/bloody tastes can be from leeching flavors from aluminum pots or metal caps.

Here the recipe:

2-row 11lbs
Munich 2lbs
Victory 4oz
Crystal 10l, 4oz

Mash at 151 for 60

60 boil:
1.25oz Pacific Jade@ 60
0.25 oz each Pacific Jade and Citra @ 10min
1oz of PJ and Citra each @ 5 min
2oz Citra at flame out
Dry hop with one oz pj and one oz Citra for a week.

Ferment at 68-69

Bitter astringent tastes can be from tannin extraction. Meaty/bloody tastes can be from leeching flavors from aluminum pots or metal caps.

Not likely on the aluminum. It's a myth that has been debunked for quite some time. The likely culprit could be the water supply for both faults. Is the water filtered? Is it treated? I heard a story of a guy who drained the water from his water heater to his HLT. Imagine if the water heater is several years old and all that rust. The guy thought he was genius for not having to heat strike and sparge water on his burner, but he did not consider the quality of water he was using. Also, astringency comes from more than just tannins. Hops and water chemistry play a large role.

Thanks for the quick response, all! Bottled for two weeks at about 72 degrees. May be the grains but I got them from the same place I always get them and have never had a problem. I know it's possible, but not sure.

Used bottled drinking water. Not sure what else...

Latest posts

Back