Help with next batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmcoklahoma

Reaction score
Ok so my first batch is on the down hill slide to being done and I'm thinking of my next batch. This batch will be for a football game early december, the Army Navy game to be exact. My buddy says I should do a blonde ale, my dad doesn't care as long as he can drink it but I personally am torn between an Irish stout or a Russian Imperial Ale. My buddywould like the blonde ale, but he doesn't really care either. I should note that if I can, the one I select will come from those pre-extracted beginner cans, don't think I've graduated to doing my own extracting. So with all of this said, what's yalls opinion of what one would be a good football game beer?

ETA: by way of the wiki, I have learned that my beers are/will be Toucan beers. Lol.

I've done the Texas Blonde Ale from AHS and it was pretty good, but I think blonde ales are more of a summer brew. I would go for something with a little more body. I don't personally prefer either of the 2 alternatives you mentioned, but they may be good choices for you if that's what you like. Other options would be an amber, brown ale, APA, or IPA, or maybe a dark wheat beer like a dunkelweizen.

I would recommend that you graduate from the all-extract kits ASAP. You can get a partial-mash or "mini-mash" kit that allows you to mash grains, but still get most of your sugar from liquid extract. It isn't that hard, there is lots of info on this site on how to do this, and you don't really need additional equipment. It feels like you accomplished more and the beer tastes better IMO.

I would recommend that you graduate from the all-extract kits ASAP. You can get a partial-mash or "mini-mash" kit that allows you to mash grains, but still get most of your sugar from liquid extract. It isn't that hard, there is lots of info on this site on how to do this, and you don't really need additional equipment. It feels like you accomplished more and the beer tastes better IMO.

+1 agreed

That being said, you probably don't have time to age in Imperial Stout properly by December. I vote for the Irish Stout...

Of course, your call but I'm totally against an Imperial Stout. Sure, its a good winter brew but it's not something I want to quaff as I watch football and gorge on pizza, chips and wings. As firefighter mentions, not enough time to age it anyway. Do it now for next year.

To me, this says session beer. I vote for the Blonde: certainly more of a summer beer but definitely very approachable and drinkable. Good for a party. I like the Irish Stout too, but not everyone is into stouts. You may change some opinions with your excellent homebrewed stout, but then again, maybe not? Have some other commercial beers ready, just in case. And skip the pre-hopped can stuff, if that's what you mean by beginner pre-extracted cans. You can do an extract (not pre-hopped) with specialty grains brew that should turn out fine.

Cheers!

Umm... what about them? Me and my buddy come from military families, me and him are Marines, his dad is AF and my dad is army, so it will be a divided house.. lol

uhhh, well - first off, as I'm sure you're aware - you've got the black knights vs. the midshipmen.

So, if I were you, which I am not, I would likely do something black such as a "black as knight stout".

then, I'd do something commemorating the ocean, the first thing that comes to mind is the "Midshipmen Anchor Steam dream" or something like that.

have fun

uhhh, well - first off, as I'm sure you're aware - you've got the black knights vs. the midshipmen.

So, if I were you, which I am not, I would likely do something black such as a "black as knight stout".

then, I'd do something commemorating the ocean, the first thing that comes to mind is the "Midshipmen Anchor Steam dream" or something like that.

have fun

Lol, never heard of them but they sound like fun. I asked all the involved parties and Im now thinking about Blonde ale or the Irish stout. I may have to flip a coin to decide ;)

Latest posts

Back