Help with my wet hop pale ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutchaser

Reaction score
Hi all! So I have a couple cascade plants that are loaded and ready to go in my backyard but this is my first year with them and really not sure on the amounts to use for a pale ale. This is what I was gonna do:

9 lbs 2 row
1 lbs Vienna
1 lbs Munich
.5 lbs crystal 20L

.30 oz warrior @ 60 min
1 oz. falconer's flight @ 10
4 oz cascade @ 5
4 oz cascade whirlpool/ hop stand

Wyeast 1056
Only the cascade are home grown and just not sure on the amount? What y'all think? Thanks for the input!

8oz total late addition of fresh Cascade in a 5g batch is about right to get noticeable fresh hops flavor. You could go up to a lb, in my experience and not be over the top. Divide the fresh cone weight by 5 or 6 to estimate dried weight and therefore IBU's from the 5 minute addition, if you are overly concerned about the IBU's from a 5 min addition. Also, to be conservative, use the low end of the alpha range for the variety, so 5.5% to 6%.

After your hops stand, consider using a steel strainer to remove and press out the cones with a spoon/mash paddle to minimize wort loss, or add a half-gallon to your recipe calcs to compensate.

Looks okay to me. I'm not sure if the 10min Falconer's Flight is necessary, but it'll be fine.

Don't be afraid to drink it fast; the glorious wet hop character doesn't seem to stick around, at least for me.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah the falconer's flight was just something I had and thought I would throw it in just to use it.

I've got an upcoming fresh hop Pale Ale to use the Cascade that I'm growing, and I'm going 100% Cascade with it. (Pellets for bittering and at 15. Fresh hops at 5 and Flameout.)

I cannot find the article I got the idea from, but it was recommended that you try a single hop ale with your first harvest, in order to assess your hops' aroma and flavor. That being said, I think you're safe with Warrior for bittering, as it's fairly neutral. But I'd skip the Falconer's Flight.

Just my two cents.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back