Help with my Johnson A419 Temperature Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sailor0307

Reaction score
So I just bought a JC A419 controller and I have set it like the instructions said, so my kegarator (I bought a Danby mini fridge and did the conversion myself) and it is basically running like normal, like I don't even have the Controller installed. I have it set at 33* with a 2* diff, it is set for cooling because I am using this as a keg fridge. I also have the probe inside a bottle of water like the Home Brew store suggested If y'all have some insight I would appreciate it, thanks!

What exactly do you mean "it is basically running like normal, like I don't even have the Controller installed"? Seems like this is exactly what you'd want, no?

If you have your kegerator plugged into the Johnson controller, and the fridge is staying cold, I'd say it's working. What does the controller say the temp is? What makes you think the controller isn't working properly?

Also, you shouldn't put the probe in liquid unless it's protected somehow. It is not waterproof.

What exactly do you mean "it is basically running like normal, like I don't even have the Controller installed"? Seems like this is exactly what you'd want, no?

If you have your kegerator plugged into the Johnson controller, and the fridge is staying cold, I'd say it's working. What does the controller say the temp is? What makes you think the controller isn't working properly?

Also, you shouldn't put the probe in liquid unless it's protected somehow. It is not waterproof.

What I am saying is that the temp on the controller is set at 34* and with a 2* diff, but the controller says it is 44* and my laser thermometer is saying the fridge is 40*, and the green LED light never shuts off, the fridge is running like normal, like there is no controller, going through its normal run cycle, gets to 38* and warms up to 44* before the compressor kicks back on for the cooling cycle, and like I said its not what I set it for, so that is why I say it is like I dont have a controller installed at all, its basically a $65 power strip. I expect when I set the set point to 34* and 2* differential I want it to be that cold, not run at its own set points. Also I did take the probe out the water.

What I am saying is that the temp on the controller is set at 34* and with a 2* diff, but the controller says it is 44* and my laser thermometer is saying the fridge is 40*, and the green LED light never shuts off, the fridge is running like normal, like there is no controller, going through its normal run cycle, gets to 38* and warms up to 44* before the compressor kicks back on for the cooling cycle, and like I said its not what I set it for, so that is why I say it is like I dont have a controller installed at all, its basically a $65 power strip. I expect when I set the set point to 34* and 2* differential I want it to be that cold, not run at its own set points. Also I did take the probe out the water.

You may need to disable the builtin thermostat on your fridge. Sounds like the fridge is cutting off the compressor at 40, instead of continuing to run the compressor whenever power is applied (by the controller).

You may need to disable the builtin thermostat on your fridge. Sounds like the fridge is cutting off the compressor at 40, instead of continuing to run the compressor whenever power is applied (by the controller).

How would I do that? I am sorry, I am just trying to find a what to do that now and I can't find a for sure what of doing this, I just don't want to break my Kegerator, thank you.

Is your fridge set to max, it's coldest temp? If not, it needs to be.

Yes it is, I think I figured it out with the last post, I think that Danby Mini fridges have an auto shut off to the compressor that won't let it go down further then a factory set point. I opened the light cover where the thermostat is at, unplugged the red wire, the black wire and the yellow/green wire connected to the thermostat and I connected a pair of jumper wires to the red and black only, plugged my JC (Johnson Controller) into wall and then the Kegerator into the JC and it kicked on instantly, so now I am waiting to see if it will get down to my set point on the JC, fingers crossed, I will let y'all know soon!

If you're using it as a kegerator, why would you need a temp control? You want the beer cold, set the fridge to cold. You want it warmer, turn the temp up. If you're not trying to control ferment temps, or something else, what is the point?

Yeah the kegerator is designed to keep kegs cold - not sure what you need the Johnson for specifically. If you aren't satisfied with the kegerator's built in thermostat then you'll need to either bypass it or tweak it. I know some have a little screw that can adjust the range of the thermostat.

Besides, 34°F is a bit cold for serving temps, no? I mean, to each his own and all, but it seems a bit excessive.....unless you're trying to cold crash or something.

Cheers :mug:

Yeah the kegerator is designed to keep kegs cold - not sure what you need the Johnson for specifically. If you aren't satisfied with the kegerator's built in thermostat then you'll need to either bypass it or tweak it. I know some have a little screw that can adjust the range of the thermostat.

Besides, 34°F is a bit cold for serving temps, no? I mean, to each his own and all, but it seems a bit excessive.....unless you're trying to cold crash or something.

Cheers :mug:

I enjoy my beer cold, not at 44*, I have tweaked the little screw in the T-stat and it brought it down a little but not where I want it at, my beer out of my corny keg was sitting at 42*, I have a tower cooler as well, I like a fine tune running machine, and an cold beer on a hot day, what do you recommend a drinking temp?

If you're using it as a kegerator, why would you need a temp control? You want the beer cold, set the fridge to cold. You want it warmer, turn the temp up. If you're not trying to control ferment temps, or something else, what is the point?

Now if the beer was getting cold to the point that I like it at then sure, but it wasn't getting cold, it was warm, drinking beer at 42* isn't ideal to me, so I want my beer between 34* to 38*, it just a preference is all, so this is why I brought in the JC to bring my temps down, I guess I am just a perfectionist and like my beer this way. Also I do plan on brewing my own beer, that is my next adventure for sure though, and I plan on making a Ferm Chamber next, I do appreciate the help from all of you.

I have a converted Danby too but I didn't do anything to the internal thermostat. I installed an STC 1000 because the dial on the fridge would go from cooling the beer not quite enough for my tastes (shoot for 36F) to freezing it at a slightest adjustment.

Set the fridge's thermostat to maximum cool and plug in into the controller. I keep the probe in a small jar (A four oz plastic baby bottle) of air at the bottom of the fridge. Set to 1.4C. Tower fan circulates the air.

Sounds like something strange is going on, perhaps from messing with the fridge's thermostat. I don't know.

I guess my point was, if the fridge will not get any colder, a temp control will not make it get colder. If the fridge will only go so low, as apparently yours does, then there is nothing a Johnson Control can do to fix that.

@WildGingerBrewing

That makes sense. I totally aggree. If the OP's Danby is anything like mine, it can partially freeze a keg if let.

Like I said, to each their own. I have friends that need the beer near-freezing (seriously) to drink it. Personally I find that to be so cold that it numbs my tastebuds and I can't really taste the beer.

I prefer to serve mine around 40°-44°F. But I understand that's not for everyone.

My Danby normally functions solely as a beverage refrigerator, but I turned it most of the way down to cold crash a fermenter. It did a fine job of that, but it managed to partially freeze a few bottles of beer at the same time. Dunno how much colder it will go. All the way to COLD is my guess.

I guess my point was, if the fridge will not get any colder, a temp control will not make it get colder. If the fridge will only go so low, as apparently yours does, then there is nothing a Johnson Control can do to fix that.

The controller did make it colder though, I figured how to bypass the T-stat by connecting the Black and Red wire with a wire nut and then my JC took over 100%, my fridge now sets at what I want it and not at 40*. My Kegerator is now sitting at a nice 33* with a 3* differential, which is nice because my beer is super cold now, just the way I like it. So it can be done, I wasn't trying to argue with you, I appreciate your insight on the matter, thanks! :mug:

I have a converted Danby too but I didn't do anything to the internal thermostat. I installed an STC 1000 because the dial on the fridge would go from cooling the beer not quite enough for my tastes (shoot for 36F) to freezing it at a slightest adjustment.

Set the fridge's thermostat to maximum cool and plug in into the controller. I keep the probe in a small jar (A four oz plastic baby bottle) of air at the bottom of the fridge. Set to 1.4C. Tower fan circulates the air.

Sounds like something strange is going on, perhaps from messing with the fridge's thermostat. I don't know.

At the time of installing the Johnson Temp Controller I hadn't messed with the T-stat, I plugged in the JC, then the Kegerator, and it wasn't working, which was making me upset. I am a HVAC/R tech in the Navy and I wasn't sure what I was doing wrong, seems pretty simple to install. Called a couple guys I work with and instantly told me I over thought it and to bypass the T-stat, and I did exactly that, works like a champ now!

Like I said, to each their own. I have friends that need the beer near-freezing (seriously) to drink it. Personally I find that to be so cold that it numbs my tastebuds and I can't really taste the beer.

I prefer to serve mine around 40°-44°F. But I understand that's not for everyone.

I do like some beers warmer though, like any type of Porter's or Stouts. I like IPA's cold, and My Red's cold as well. I like most beers right about 34*/35* though for sure.

@WildGingerBrewing

That makes sense. I totally aggree. If the OP's Danby is anything like mine, it can partially freeze a keg if let.

Since working my issue out a few hours ago my corny legged beer is sitting at 34* and I don't think my IPA will freeze at that temp, If I did the math right my beer would freeze right about 29* so I think I should be ok.

Just for fun, beers best serving temps. It's true cause it's on the Google

Very Cold: 35-40 degrees

American Adjunct Lagers (“Macros”)
Malt Liquors
Light or low alcohol beers

Cold: 40-45 degrees

Pilsner
Light-bodied lagers
Kolsch
Belgian Wit
Hefeweizen
Berliner weisse
American Wheat

Cool: 45-50 degrees

American Pale Ales
Medium-bodied lagers
India Pale Ale (IPA)
Porters
Alt
Irish Stouts
Sweet Stout

Cellar Temp: 50-55 degrees

Sour Ales
Lambic/Gueuze
English Bitter
Strong Ales
Baltic Porters
Bocks
Scotch Ales
Belgian Ales
Trappist Ales

Warm: 55-60 degrees

Imperial Stouts
Belgian Quads
Belgian Strong Ales
Barley Wines
Old Ales
Dopplebock
Eisbock

Just for fun, beers best serving temps. It's true cause it's on the Google

Very Cold: 35-40 degrees

American Adjunct Lagers (“Macros”)
Malt Liquors
Light or low alcohol beers

Cold: 40-45 degrees

Pilsner
Light-bodied lagers
Kolsch
Belgian Wit
Hefeweizen
Berliner weisse
American Wheat

Cool: 45-50 degrees

American Pale Ales
Medium-bodied lagers
India Pale Ale (IPA)
Porters
Alt
Irish Stouts
Sweet Stout

Cellar Temp: 50-55 degrees

Sour Ales
Lambic/Gueuze
English Bitter
Strong Ales
Baltic Porters
Bocks
Scotch Ales
Belgian Ales
Trappist Ales

Warm: 55-60 degrees

Imperial Stouts
Belgian Quads
Belgian Strong Ales
Barley Wines
Old Ales
Dopplebock
Eisbock

This is good, I like this. I never said that my way should be the way, I just said its the way I like my beer, but this is good to know, thanks!!

Also, sometimes I find it to be enjoyable to start a beer cold and allow it to warm as I slowly drink it.

Sometimes I like to drink cold beer very fast and let it warm slowly in my belly. Mmmm

Haha, that is true as well lol, I mean its everyones own preference I guess. I don't slam beers unless I am with my friends and we are out, but at home I relax and drink a few, unless my friends are over then it is time to slam beers!

I am about complete with my set up, just need to get a drip tray and I will be good to go, its been a pretty fun project, looking forward to building a Keezer next...

20150602_123556.jpg

20150602_123718.jpg

20150602_123756.jpg

20150602_123815.jpg

20150602_123821.jpg

20150602_123950.jpg

20150602_124008.jpg

20150602_123845.jpg

20150602_132610.jpg

This is not correct. Typically a refrigerator will only get "so" cold because the thermostat is configured that way. Fundamentally, the only difference between a refrigerator and a freezer is where the thermostat is set. Both use a compressor to remove heat from the interior. By bypassing the builtin thermostat, you make it so that the compressor turns on (and STAYS on) whenever power is applied. If you don't have something to turn the compressor off (like a controller), then it will run constantly, freezing the interior as much as the insulation will allow, and eventually burn out the compressor or other electronics.

This is not correct. Typically a refrigerator will only get "so" cold because the thermostat is configured that way. Fundamentally, the only difference between a refrigerator and a freezer is where the thermostat is set. Both use a compressor to remove heat from the interior. By bypassing the builtin thermostat, you make it so that the compressor turns on (and STAYS on) whenever power is applied. If you don't have something to turn the compressor off (like a controller), then it will run constantly, freezing the interior as much as the insulation will allow, and eventually burn out the compressor or other electronics.

I have had my Johnson Controller for the last 2 weeks, and it has worked phenomenal! I had to rewire my factory Tstat and my Controller took over 100%. My beer sits at a nice and refreshing 34* at first pour, I tend to sip on my beers so they warm obviously over time which is fine, just hate piss warm beer right off. I get exceptional first pours because of my tower cooler, plus I enjoy not getting too much "Head" with my first pour, just the right amount of head is expected and enjoyed. Thank you all for the help, and I appreciate any future help I will need for future builds!

Latest posts

Back